UNH WEEKLY ROUNDUP
March 29, 2010
Bobby Butler, men's hockey - Walter Brown Award (Gridiron Club of Greater Boston)
Helena Diodati, gymnstics - Second Team Uneven Bars, Second Team Vault (EAGL)
Taryn LaFountain, gymnastics - First Team Balance Beam (EAGL)
Danielle Reibold, gymnastics - First Team Uneven Bars, Second Team Balance Beam (EAGL)
Julie Sauchuk, gymnastics - First Team Floor Exercise
Chelsea Steinberg, gymnastics - First Team Balance Beam, Second Team Vault, Second Team All-Around (EAGL)
Jenny Simpson, women's lacrosse - Rookie of the Week (America East)
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Friday, March 26
Men's hockey- #12 UNH 6, vs. #6 Cornell 2 (NCAA East Regional) (ESPNU)
Saturday, March 27
Gymnastics- EAGL Championships, UNH 4th place (UNH's Lundholm Gymnasium)
Men's outdoor track & field- 1st place, ti-meet at Maine
Women's outdoor track & field- 2nd place, tri-meet at Maine
Men's hockey- #20 RIT 6, #12 UNH 2 (NCAA East Regional) (ESPNU)
Sunday, March 28
UNH 14, Fairfield 10
Wednesday, March 31
Women's lacrosse at Yale, 4 pm
Saturday, April 3
Women's lacrosse vs. UMBC, 1 pm
Men's track & field vs. Holy Cross, Maine and Northeastern 11 am
Women's track & field vs. Holy Cross, Maine and Northeastern, 11 am
• UNH placed fourth at the EAGL Championship with a score of 194.700. The Wildcats now await the announcement of the NCAA regional fields.
• Helena Diodati (Scarborough, Maine) recorded a pair of top-six performances. She finished third in the vault (9.875) and fourth on the uneven bars (9.85).
• Chelsea Steinberg (Ridgewood, N.J.) took second place in the balance beam (9.85).
• Five UNH gymnasts received All-EAGL accolades. Steinberg was named to the First Team on balance beam and Second Team in both vault and all-around. Taryn LaFountain (Utica, N.Y.) joined Steinberg on the beam's First Team. Danielle Reibold (Horsham, Pa.) garnered First Team on the uneven bars and Second Team on beam. Julie Sauchuk (Peabody, Mass.) was a First Team honoree on floor exercise. Diodati was a Second Team honoree in both vault and bars.
MEN’S ICE HOCKEY (18-14-7, 15-6-6 Hockey East)
• UNH defeated Cornell, 6-2, in the first round and then lost 6-2 to RIT at the NCAA East Regional at the Times Union Center (Albany, N.Y.). It marked the Wildcats' ninth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance, which is the second-longest active streak.
• Bobby Butler (Marlboro, Mass.) was named to the All-Region Team. He tallied two goals and an assist to propel the 'Cats past Cornell. He lifted UNH into a 1-1 tie late in the second period, set up the team's third goal (3-1 lead) and also potted the fourth goal to increase the lead to 4-1.
• Paul Thompson (Derry, N.H.) and Mike Sislo (Superior, Wis.) tallied two goals apiece vs. Cornell; Thompson also had an assist.
• Greg Burke (Lee, N.H.), Phil DeSimone (East Amherst, N.Y.) and Blake Kessel (Verona, Wis.) finished with two assists vs. Cornell and Brett Kostalansky (Denver, Colo.) had a two-assist game vs. RIT.
WOMEN’S LACROSSE (5-3, 0-0 America East)
• UNH rolled out to a 6-0 win en route to a 14-10 victory vs. Fairfield. The Wildcats are now 4-1 at home this season.
• Kathleen O'Keefe (Chatham, N.J.) recorded her first career victory with a nine-save effort vs. the Stags. She was also credited with five ground balls, which was tied for the highest total in the game.
• Jenny Simpson (New Canaan, Conn.) recorded career highs in both goals (five) and points (six), while Ilana Cohen (Andover, Mass.) scored a career-high three goals.
MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
• UNH, with nine first-place finishes and a total of 158 points, finished in first place in a tri-meet at the University of Maine against the Bates College (107 points) and the host school (106).
• Victor Adejuyigbe (Penacook, N.H.) won two individual events -- 100 meters (11.24 seconds), 200m (22.54).
• In the throws, Brice Paey (Milton, N.H.) won the shot put with a throw of 13.23 meters and Jeff Kaste (Atkinson, N.H.) took first place in the discus with a mark of 46.44m.
• In other field events, Michael Simon (Durham, Conn.) won the javelin (58.07m) and Max Hoddwells (Wayne, Maine) recorded the best effort in the triple jump (13.23m).
• Marc Ouellette (Hopkinton, N.H.) led a 1-2-3 sweep of the 1,500m with a time of 4:05.97. In the 800m, Josh Kearns (Ridgefield, Conn.) was first across the finish line in 1:58.61.
• UNH's other first-place effort was turned in by the 4x400m relay team.
WOMEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
• UNH, with 127 points, finished in second place in a tri-meet at the University of Maine. The Wildcats placed behind Maine (137 points) and ahead of Bates College (102).
• Rita Ciambra (Hanover, N.H.) broke her own school record in the pole vault for the second consecutive week with a winning mark of 4.11 meters.
• Ashlee Lathrop (Sherburne, N.Y.) took first place in both the hammer throw (49.39m) and discus (38.71m).
• Melanie Frazier (Bridgewater, Mass.) led a sweep of the top four spots in the long jump with a distance of 5.36m.
• Esperance Ndombe (Manchester, N.H.) won the triple jump (10.70m) and Tayla Ryan (Norwood, Mass.) was the fastest runner in the 100m (15.17 seconds).
UNH WEEKLY ROUNDUP