DURHAM, N.H. -- Senior volleyball player Kate Uitti (Pinckney, Mich.) and senior men's soccer player Joe Annese (Attleboro, Mass.) have been featured in this week's Service Credit Union Student-Athlete Spotlights. These features and more in this week's Wildcat Roundup.
Kate Uitti, volleyball
Kate, a senior setter from Pinckney, Mich., became just the second UNH Wildcat player to reach the 3,000 assist milestone. She attained the milestone Sept. 19 against Arizona State University, which was the last match of the 2nd Annual Holly Young Invitational (hosted by UNH). Kate recorded a total of 88 assists in the three tourney matches to increase her career total to 3,008 – that number trails only current associate head coach Stacy Barnett (3,977) in UNH’s history book. Kate tallied 38 assists in wins against both Wyoming and Bryant last week.
Joe Annese, men’s soccer
Joe, a senior forward from Attleboro, Mass., scored his first collegiate goal Sept. 19 against Colgate when his tally on a penalty kick gave the Wildcats a 2-0 lead in the 39th minute, and it proved to be the game-winning goal in a 2-1 victory.
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Tuesday, Sept. 15
Volleyball: UNH 3, at Bryant 1
Friday, Sept. 18
Women’s soccer: at Colorado College 4, UNH 0
Volleyball: at UNH 3, Wyoming 1 (2nd Annual Holly Young Invitational)
Saturday, Sept. 19
Volleyball: Harvard 3, at UNH 1 (2nd Annual Holly Young Invitational)
Arizona State 3, UNH 0 (2nd Annual Holly Young Invitational)
Field hockey: at UNH 5, Holy Cross 2
Men’s soccer: at UNH 2, Colgate 1
Sunday, Sept. 20
Women’s soccer: at Air Force 1, UNH 0
THIS WEEK’S EVENTS
Tuesday, Sept. 22
Volleyball at Northeastern, 7 pm
Wednesday, Sept. 23
Men’s soccer vs. Harvard, 4 pm
Thursday, Sept. 24
Women’s soccer vs. Holy Cross, 7 pm
Friday, Sept. 25
Men’s and Women’s cross country at Maine, 3 pm
Field hockey at Davidson, 6 pm
Volleyball vs. Coppin State (at Providence College), 6 pm
Saturday, Sept. 26
Football vs. Dartmouth, 12 pm
Men’s soccer at Bryant, 3 pm
Women’s hockey vs. Durham Lightning, 5 pm (exhibition)
Volleyball vs. St. Francis (NY), 1 pm (at Providence) // at Providence, 5 pm
Sunday, Sept. 27
Field hockey at Duke, 1 pm
Women’s soccer at Stony Brook, 2 pm
MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY
- The men’s cross country team was idle last week. The team returns to action Sept. 25 at Maine.
WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY
- The women’s cross country team was idle last week. The team returns to action Sept. 25 at Maine.
FIELD HOCKEY (4-2, 0-0 America East)
- UNH extended its winning streak to three games with a 5-2 victory at home against Holy Cross last Saturday.
- Senior forward Leah Boody (Amesbury, Mass.) scored goals 2:03 apart to turn a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 lead. The two goals and four points are single-game highs for Boody.
- Senior forward Meg Shea (Melrose, Mass.) extended her goal-scoring streak to six games with a goal and an assist vs. Holy Cross.
- Shea, Kate Collins Smyth (Parteen, County Claire/Ireland) and Whitney Frates (Woodstock, Vt.) have all factored in four of the team’s last eight goals.
FOOTBALL (2-0, 0-0 CAA)
- Sixth-ranked UNH did not play last weekend. The Wildcats return to action at home Sept. 26 vs. intrastate rival Dartmouth College. UNH has won 11 straight in the series, which is tied overall at 17-17-2.
- UNH is ranked #1 in the nation in total defense (yards allowed per game).
MEN’S SOCCER (2-3-1, 0-0-0 America East)
- UNH won its only match of the week with a 2-1 home victory against Colgate on Sept. 19.
- Joe Annese (Attleboro, Mass.) scored his first career goal on a penalty kick in the 39th minute; it gave the ‘Cats a 2-0 lead and proved to be the game-winning tally.
- Sean Coleman (Stratham, N.H.) had given UNH a 1-0 lead with an unassisted goal in the 16th minute.
WOMEN’S SOCCER (1-6-1, 0-0-0 America East)
- UNH fell to Colorado College and Air Force in last week’s road trip to the state of Colorado.
- Senior goalkeeper Ally Yost (Langhorne, Pa.) made eight saves against CC to mark the third time this season she has recorded 8+ saves in a game.
- The Wildcats open league play Sept. 27 at Stony Brook. The ‘Cats went 11-4-1 in America East action the past two years.
VOLLEYBALL (4-8, 0-0 America East)
- UNH went 2-2 last week with consecutive wins against Bryant and then Wyoming in the first of three matches in the Second Annual Holly Young Invitational. In the last two matches, the Wildcats fell to Harvard and Arizona St.
- Senior setter Kate Uitti (Pinckney, Mich.) became just the second UNH Wildcat to reach the 3,000 assist milestone; she achieved the feat in the match vs. ASU. Uitti was named to the All-Tournament Team for her efforts, which included 38 assists in the win vs. Wyoming.
- This past week marked the return of America East All-Conference selection Kirsten Bates (Calgary, Alberta). Bates recorded a team-high 40 kills despite limited action. Bates enters this week’s action 122 kills shy of 1,000 in her career.