CURRO, KASTE: SERVICE CREDIT UNION STUDENT-ATHLETE SPOTLIGHT AND ROUNDUP
UNH WEEKLY ROUNDUP
April 5, 2010
DURHAM, N.H. – JoJo Curro (Amherst, N.H.) of the women’s lacrosse team and Jeff Kaste (Atkinson, N.H.) of the men’s outdoor track & field team are featured in this week's Service Credit Union Student-Athlete Spotlight. This information and more can be found in this week's Wildcat Roundup.
JoJo Curro, women's lacrosse
JoJo, a sophomore attacker from Amherst, New Hampshire, is having a breakout year on the women's lacrosse team. In UNH's most recent game – the America East conference opener April 3 against UMBC – she scored a career-high six goals, and the six points also marked a personal best. JoJo opened the game scoring and netted five first-half goals to help the 'Cats build a 9-5 halftime lead en route to a 16-8 victory.
Earlier in the week, JoJo scored two goals at Yale to spark the Wildcats to a 13-9 victory. She score the game's first goal and then her second-half tally was part of a four-goal run that turned an 8-7 deficit into an 11-8 lead.
JoJo has recorded at least one point in all 10 games this season and has totals of 19 goals and five assists for 24 points. The 19 goals ranks first on the team and she is also third in points and tied for third in assists. In other numbers, JoJo ranks third in shooting percentage at 59.4% (19 goals on 32 shots). Her other season highlights include a five-point game (three goals, two assists) in a 9-8 victory Feb. 27 against nationally-ranked Dartmouth College.
Jeff Kaste, men's outdoor track & field
Jeff, a graduate student from Atkinson, New Hampshire, has had a strong start to the outdoor track & field season with a total of six top-3 finishes in two weeks. At last weekend's Wildcat Invitational I against regional rivals Dartmouth, Northeastern, Vermont, Maine and Holy Cross, he recorded three top-3 finishes with second place in the discus (45.94 meters) and third in both the shot put (15.55m) and hammer throw (55.39m).
One week earlier in a tri-meet at Maine, Jeff won the discus and took third place in both the shot put and hammer throw to help lead UNH to a meet victory and earn America East Field Performer of the Week. He had a winning mark of 46.44m in the discus and recorded distances of 15.05m in the shot put and 49.35m in the hammer throw.
Courtney Birchard, women's hockey- Women's Div. I All-Star (New
Bobby Butler, men's hockey- Hobey Baker "Hat Trick" Finalist; Leonard Fowle MVP,
Herb Gallagher Award (best forward), Men's Div. I All-Star (New England Hockey
Brian Foster, men's hockey- Men's Div. I All-Star (New England Hockey Writers
Blake Kessel, men's hockey- Men's Div. I All-Star (New England Hockey Writers
Micaela Long, women's hockey- Women's Div. I All-Star (New England Hockey
Kelly Paton women's hockey- New England Women's Div. I Player of the Year,
Women's Div. I All-Star (New England Hockey Writers Association)
Dick Umile, men's hockey- Spencer
Penrose National Coach of the Year finalist
Kate Keagins, women's lacrosse- Defensive Player of the Week (America East)
Jenny Simpson, women's lacrosse- Rookie of the Week (America East)
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Wednesday, March 31
Women's lacrosse- UNH 13, at Yale 9
Saturday, April 3
Women's lacrosse- at UNH 16, UMBC 8
Men's track & field- non-scoring meet vs. Dartmouth, Holy Cross, Maine and Northeastern
Women's track & field- non-scoring meet vs. Dartmouth, Holy Cross, Maine and N'eastern
Wednesday, April 7
Women's lacrosse at Boston University, 4 pm
Saturday, April 10
Gymnastics at NCAA University Park Regional at Penn State, 6 pm
Men's track & field- Wildcat Invitational II, 11 am
Women's track & field- Wildcat Invitational II, 11 am
Women's lacrosse at Stony Brook, 1 pm
• UNH received a bid to compete at the NCAA University Park Regional at Penn State on Saturday, April 10 (6 p.m.). This is the 28th time that the Wildcats will compete at an NCAA regional in head coach Gail Goodspeed's tenure.
• UNH will be competing against Oklahoma, LSU, Penn State, Maryland and Ohio State.
• The top two teams advance to the NCAA national championships at the University of Florida (April 22-24). The top two all-around competitors from a non-advancing team, as well as event winners, also qualify to compete at the NCAA national meet.
WOMEN’S LACROSSE (7-3, 1-0 America East)
• UNH defeated Yale on the road and opened its America East slate with a home win vs. UMBC to extend its winning streak to three games and improve to 5-1 at home.
• Sophomore midfielder Kate Keagins (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and freshman attacker Jenny Simpson (New Canaan, Conn.) were feted by America East. Keagins was named Defensive Player of the Week while Simpson received the Rookie of the Week award for the second consecutive week and third time overall this season.
• Sophomore attacker JoJo Curro (Amherst, N.H.) tallied a career-high six goals, including five in the first half, vs. UMBC. The six points also marked a personal best. The six goals are a single-game high by a UNH Wildcat this season. Curro has recorded at least one point in all 10 games this season.
• UNH recorded a season-high 14 caused turnovers at Yale. Allie Duclos (South Windsor, Conn.) and Keagins led the way with four apiece, and Duclos also tallied seven ground balls.
MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
• UNH won 10 events in a non-scoring meet April 3 at home vs. intrastate rival Dartmouth College and league foes Vermont and Maine as well as Northeastern and Holy Cross.
• Jeff Kaste (Atkinson, N.H.) had three top-3 finishes with second place in the discus (45.94 meters) and third in both the shot put (15.55m) and hammer throw (55.39m).
• Brice Paey (Milton, N.H.), with a throw of 17.45m, won the shot put for the second consecutive week.
• Paul DeTurk (Durham, N.H.) also won an event with a top mark of 58.34m in the hammer.
• In other field events, Matthew Guarente (Saugus, Mass.) won the high jump at 2.01m and John Donaghy (Sutton, N.H.) had a winning mark of 4.27m in the pole vault.
• UNH won the sprints with Christopher Houston in the 100m (11.08 seconds), Will Brehm (Pembroke, N.H.) in the 200m (22.15) and Bill Godfrey (Merrimack, N.H.) in the 400m (1:54.79).
• Ben Jenkins (Francestown, N.H.) was the fastest runner in the 1,500m (4:00.30) and Matt O'Connor (Rhinebeck, N.Y.) was first across the finish line in the 3,000m steeplechase with a time of 9:29.64.
• UNH's 10th win came in the 4x400m relay.
WOMEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
• UNH competed at home April 3 in a non-scoring meet vs. intrastate rival Dartmouth College and league foes Vermont and Maine as well as Northeastern and Holy Cross.
• Rita Ciambra (Hanover, N.H.) won the pole vault for the third time in as many outdoor meets with a mark of 3.85 meters.
• Ashlee Lathrop (Sherburne, N.Y.) took first place in both the hammer throw (50.17m) and discus (41.29m) for the second consecutive week.
• Tayla Ryan (Norwood, Mass.) won the 100-meter hurdles for the second time in as many weeks. She was first across the finish line with a time of 15.06 seconds.
• Camille Quarles (Derry, N.H.) led a quartet of 'Cats who finished 2-6 in the long jump with a distance of 5.65m.