UNH WEEKLY ROUNDUP
August 30, 2010
DURHAM, N.H. – The sister duo of Amy and Ashley Avitabile (Pembroke, Mass.) of the UNH women’s soccer team are featured in this week's Service Credit Union Student-Athlete Spotlight. This information and more can be found in this week's Wildcat Roundup.
Amy and Ashley Avitabile, women’s soccer
Amy and Ashley Avitabile are senior midfielders on the UNH women’s soccer team. Both sisters were named to the TD Bank Vermont Soccer Classic last weekend as they helped lead the Wildcats to the tournament title. Amy, a fourth-year ‘Cat, broke a 1-1 tie in the 85th minute against La Salle to lift New Hampshire to a 2-1 victory in opening-day action of the tourney. Ashley, a third-year member of the team (she spent her freshman year at Emory), lifted the Wildcats into a 1-1 tie vs. Rider the next day with a goal in the 65th minute.
Neither sister recorded a point in the 1-1 season-opening tie at home vs. Rhode Island, but they did combine to record eight shots. One of Amy’s five shots beat the URI goalie but caromed off the crossbar.
The Avitabile sisters have helped UNH to a 1-0-2 record in the first week of the season. It is the Wildcats’ best mark through three games since the 2001 season.
Erica Correa, women’s soccer: America East Rookie of the Week
Sara Heldman, volleyball: America East Setter of the Week
Casey Pohlmeyer, field hockey: America East Rookie of the Week
All-Wildcat Invitational Team: Kyle Lyons (MVP), Whitney Frates, Katherine
Nagengast, Casey Pohlmeyer
TD Bank Classic All-Tournament Team: Amy Avitable, Ashley Avitable, Erica Correa
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Tuesday, August 24
Women’s soccer: at UNH 1, Rhode Island 1 (2ot)
Friday, August 27
Women’s soccer: UNH 2, LaSalle 1 (at TD Bank Vermont Classic)
Volleyball: UNH 3, St. John’s 1 (at Army)
at Army 3, UNH 0
Saturday, August 28
Field hockey: at UNH 3, Lock Haven 1 (Wildcat Invitational)
Volleyball: UNH 3, Farleigh Dickinson 0 (at Army)
Sunday, August 29
Field hockey: at UNH 2, Delaware 1 (Wildcat Invitational)
Women’s soccer: UNH 1, Rider 1 (2ot) (at TD Bank Vermont Classic)
Friday, September 3
Men’s cross country at Bryant Invitational, 4 pm
Women’s cross country at Bryant Invitational, 4 pm
Volleyball vs. Boston College (at Harvard), 5:30 pm
Field hockey vs. Bryant, 7 pm
Women’s soccer at Holy Cross, 7 pm
Saturday, September 4
Volleyball vs. Eastern Illinois (at Harvard), 10 am
Football vs. Central Connecticut State, 12 pm
Volleyball vs. Bryant (at Harvard), 5:30 pm
21st Annual UNH Nike Fall Soccer Classic (men’s soccer)
Central Connecticut State vs. Vermont, 5 pm
UNH vs. Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 7:30 pm
Sunday, September 5
Field hockey vs. Providence, 1 pm
Women’s soccer vs. Harvard, 1 pm
Monday, September 6
21st Annual UNH Nike Fall Soccer Classic (men’s soccer)
Wisconsin-Milwaukee vs. Vermont, 11 am
UNH vs. Central Connecticut State, 1:30 pm
MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY
- The UNH men’s cross country team finished third at the IC4As, 12th at the NCAA Northeast Regionals and second at the America East Championships last season. The Wildcats open the 2010 season Sept. 3 at the Bryant Invitational.
WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY
- The UNH women’s cross country team finished sixth at the ECAC Championships, 11th at the NCAA Northeast Regional and fourth at the America East Championship last season. The Wildcats open the 2010 season Sept. 3 at the Bryant Invitational.
FIELD HOCKEY (2-0 overall, 0-0 America East)
- UNH opened the 2010 season by capturing first place at the Wildcat Invitational with victories against Lock Haven (3-1) and Delaware (2-1). Junior back Kyle Lyons (White River Junction, Vt.) was named the tournament MVP; she was joined on the All-Wildcat Invitational Team by Whitney Frates (Woodstock, Vt.), Katherine Nagengast (Westborough, Mass.) and Casey Pohlmeyer (Millersville, Md.).
- Senior captain Kara Connolly (Mohegan Lake, N.Y.) factored in both goals vs. Delaware to record a career-high three points (goal, assist). She also tallied an assist in the season opener.
- Junior forward Hayley Rausch (Severna Park, Md.) matched her career highs in both assists (two) and points (four) against Lock Haven.
- UNH looks to extend its winning streak to three games Sept. 3 vs. Bryant. The ‘Cats have not opened a season at 3-0 since 1999.
- There are six student-athletes from the Granite State on the 2010 roster.
FOOTBALL (0-0 overall, 0-0 CAA)
- The UNH football team is ranked #9 in the FCS Coaches Preseason Poll and opens the 2010 season Sept. 4 at home against Central Connecticut State.
- In the Blue/White Scrimmage (Aug. 26), Kevin Decker (Armonk, N.Y.) completed 21 of 25 pass attempts for 197 yards and two TDs; he also had a 14-yard rushing touchdown. Chris Setian (East Longmeadow, Mass.) carried the ball 13 times for 82 yards and one TD. Kevon Mason (Quincy, Mass.) had a game-high five receptions for 52 yards.
- In the Blue/White Scrimmage, the defense recorded six sacks and also blocked a field goal attempt. Rod Walker (Portsmouth, N.H.) and Malcolm Griggs (Piscataway, N.J.) had eight tackles apiece.
MEN’S SOCCER (0-0-0 overall, 0-0-0 America East)
- The UNH men’s soccer team, which went unbeaten in 2009 America East league play to capture the regular-season title, opens the 2010 season this weekend at home with the 21st Annual UNH Nike Fall Soccer Classic. The Wildcats play Wisconsin-Milwaukee (Sept. 4) and Central Connecticut State (Sept. 6). The University of Vermont will also be competing in the tournament.
WOMEN’S SOCCER (1-0-2 overall, 0-0-0 America East)
- UNH opened the 2010 season with a 1-1 tie at home against Rhode Island on Aug. 24, then captured first place at the Vermont TD Bank Classic by virtue of a 2-1 win against La Salle and 1-1 tie vs. Rider. The Wildcats had not won that tournament since 2001.
- The Wildcats’ 1-0-2 start is the team’s best mark since the 2001 team also had one win and two ties through three games.
- Six players recorded a point in the opening week of the season. That included five different goal scorers.
- Freshman goalkeeper Erica Correa (Cheshire, Conn.) made 16 saves in the three games, and that included eight in the 1-1 tie vs. Rider and 13 overall in the TD Bank Classic. For the week, she had a 0.87 GAA and .842 save percentage.
VOLLEYBALL (2-1 overall, 0-0 America East)
- UNH opened the 2010 season by winning two of three matches at the Army Invitational. The Wildcats defeated St. John’s (3-1) and lost to Army (3-0) on Friday, Aug. 27. UNH then swept past Farleigh Dickinson on Aug. 28.
- Junior outside hitter Lauren Laquerre (Concord, N.H.) led the team in kills all three matches with 20 vs. St. John’s, 13 vs. Army and 10 against Farleigh Dickinson. She recorded a .220 hitting percentage as well as four blocks, 22 digs and one service ace.
- Senior setter Sara Heldman (Greenwood, Ind.) tallied 110 assists in the three matches and that included 49 in the opener vs. St. John’s.
- Defensively, senior libero Jayde Huxtable (St. Charles, Ill.) had a team-high 51 digs and the duo of Taylor Dressing (Gillette, N.J.) and Amy Keding (Northbrook, Ill.) combined for seven blocks in the match vs. St. John’s.