Field Hockey's Second-Half Rally Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Providence


DURHAM, N.H.Megan Bozek (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) pulled the University of New Hampshire field hockey team within one goal in the 48th minute and UNH recorded a 9-2 shot advantage the rest of the way, but Providence College withstood the rally to prevail 2-1 Friday night at Memorial Field.

UNH is now 1-4 overall while PC continued its trend of alternating wins and losses to improve to 3-2. 

New Hampshire goalkeeper Carlie Tarbell (Wakefield, Mass.), the reigning America East Defensive Player of the Week, recorded six saves. PC counterpart Deidra Clymer stopped five shots, including four in the last 20 minutes.

The Wildcats controlled possession early but the Friars' defense kept the 'Cats out of the circle. Providence generated the first scoring threat with a penalty corner in the seventh minute, but Henni Tietze's direct shot was turned aside by Tarbell. 

PC continued to pressure and, in the eighth minute, produced another shot on goal by Steph Guglielmo and then Emma Mackie lifted a shot wide right off the rebound.

The Friars took a 1-0 lead at 11:21 on Daniella Bernasconi's first goal of the game. Guglielmo eluded the UNH defense on the right end line and struck a centering pass across the goalmouth that Mackie redirected into the open cage. 

In the 17th minute, Aggie Sutherland (Dauphin, Pa.) tackled the ball near midfield and the Wildcats quickly advanced the ball into the circle, where the Hannah Richard (Hopkinton, N.H.) shot was blocked by PC's defense.

Providence carried a 1-0 lead as well as the edge in both shots (5-3) and penalty corners (2-0) into halftime. 

The Friars struck quickly in the second half – with just 2:32 elapsed – to take a 2-0 lead when Bernasconi drove down the middle of the circle for her team-leading seventh goal of the season at 37:32.

PC continued its offensive attack and earned another corner in the 42nd minute that led to Tietze's direct shot wide of the cage. 

The Wildcats advanced the ball to the opposite end of the field and was awarded their initial corner of the game in the 43rd minute. The ball was swung by Chandler Giese (Trappe, Pa.) to the left side, where Casey Pohlmeyer (Millersville, Md.) fired a shot that was blocked aside by a defender.

On PC's next corner in the 45th minute, the push went directly to Guglielmo on the left side and her lifted shot was stopped by Tarbell. The Friars were awarded a second corner, however, and this time Bulman's direct shot was blocked aside Tarbell's leg pads. On the third consecutive corner, Tietze's direct shot bounded wide right. 

New Hampshire quickly counterattacked and Lynne Lehman (Landisburg, Pa.) drove the ball along the right end line. She struck a pass to the middle of the circle, where the onrushing Bozek settled the ball and sent a low shot into the cage to trim the deficit to 2-1 at 47:13.

Adrienne Houle tested Tarbell two minutes later, but the Wildcats seized momentum in the 51st minute. Clymer stopped a Meg Flatley (Townsend, Mass.) redirection at the right doorstep and moments later Clymer denied Kellie Joyce (South Pomfret, Vt.). The 'Cats maintained possession off the rebound and Richard struck a shot wide. 

UNH generated a penalty corner in the 52nd minute, but Clymer once again was in position to turn aside Flatley's redirection. The Wildcats immediately earned another corner, and Pohlmeyer's low blast from the left side went wide of the far post.

Another 'Cat attack inside the circle generated a corner in the 54th minute, and this time Flatley's redirection went wide of the left post.  UNH did not relent and had three more corners in as many minutes, but Bozek's direct shot was blocked on the first and Giese's shot from the left side was saved by Clymer on the last. 

PC called time out at 57:43. The Friars' struggle to get the ball across midfield continued but the only shot they yielded in the next four minutes was off target.

New Hampshire called a timeout at 62:22, but the Friars held the Wildcats at bay the rest of the way by repeatedly gaining possession near midfield and advancing the ball into the left corner. 

UNH recorded an 11-8 shot advantage, including 9-2 the last 20 minutes – when the 'Cats also had a 6-0 edge in corners, in the second half for a 14-13 edge overall. Corners were even, 7-7.

New Hampshire returns to action Sept. 15 at home against Northeastern University. Game time at Memorial Field is 2 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop