DURHAM, N.H. – Senior goalkeeper Colin O'Donnell (Hampden, Mass.) earned his conference-best fifth shutout of the season, tallying four saves, as the University of New Hampshire men's soccer team played the University of Maryland, Baltimore County to a 0-0 draw in double-overtime Saturday evening at Bremner Field.

With the tie the Wildcats move to 5-2-3 overall and 0-1-1 in America East play on the season, as for the Retrievers they adjust to 5-3-2 overall and 0-0-2 in conference action.

New Hampshire outshot UMBC 12-9 in the contest, including a 10-4 advantage in regulation. Despite the team's advantage in the first two frames of play, the Retrievers held the edge in the both overtime periods by a count of 5-2.

New Hampshire nearly jumped on the board in the 33rd minute of the first half when Steven Palumbo (Kingston, N.H.) picked up a ball at the top of the box and dumped it down to Jordan Thomas (Mohnton, Pa.) at right of the box and was able to get a foot on it but missed wide right.

The 'Cats had another major chance about thirty minutes later in the second frame when Palumbo faked out a pair of defenders at midfield and served a ball to Dylan George (Bangor, Maine) at the left flank, as he picked up the pass and crossed it through a heard of Retrievers back to Palumbo at the right hand corner of the box and fired a shot that was quickly scooped up by UMBC goalkeeper Dan Louisignau.

Antti Arvola (Espoo, Finland) would give the home team it's second chance of the frame to draw first blood when he served the ball into the box off a corner kick to George, who touched up the pass and flicked it toward the net but missed high and right.

With little opportunity to score in the first overtime period, UNH came close to netting a goal once again with just over five minutes remaining when Brad Hilton (Merrimack, N.H.) served a ball into the box off a restart to Alex Russell (Harrisburg, Pa.), who managed to head the ball toward the upper portion of the net but Louisignau snagged it with the edges of his fingertips and pulled it in.

Marcus Barr (Wallingford, Pa.) led the Wildcats with three shots, including two on goal. George, Hilton, Palumbo and Thomas all finished with two shots apiece. Pete Caringi and Andrew Bulls finished with three shots each for the Retrievers.

Louisignau finished with a game-high five saves, earning his first shutout of the year, moving to 2-0-2 on season. As for O'Donnell, he now has 15 career shutouts and ties his single season career-high in shutouts with the scoreless effort.

New Hampshire returns to action Wednesday, Oct. 13 when the Wildcats travel to Stony Brook to take on the Seawolves at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium at 7 p.m.
View: Mobile | Desktop