DURHAM, N.H. - Maren Matthias (Guilford, Conn.) had 27 points and 12 rebounds but Rebekkah Brunson hit a layup with three seconds remaining to lift the Georgetown University women's basketball team to a 61-60 win over the University of New Hampshire Saturday afternoon at Lundholm Gymnasium. UNH now stands at 1-1 on the year while Georgetown remains unbeaten at 4-0.

Matthias was 10-21 from the floor for the afternoon. Freshman Ray Williams (Mississsauga, Ontario) was the other Wildcat in double figures, as she registered 11 points and also grabbed six rebounds. Ebony Woods (Philadelphia, Pa.) had nine points while Kate Poulin (Kitchener, Ontario) had seven points and eight rebounds.

Brunson and Bethany LeSueur each had 14 points to pace Georgetown, while Brunson also had 14 boards. Mary Lisicky had 11 points for the Hoyas.

After being down by as many as seven in the second half, UNH tied the game with 1:02 to play when Williams collected a miss of a Matthias free throw and put it back to knot the game at 58. With 24 seconds to play, Brunson was fouled by Matthias and she made 1-of-2 from the line to put the Hoyas up 59-58. With 8.6 seconds to play Matthias was fouled going to the basket by Brunson and she converted both free throws to give UNH a 60-59 lead.

Georgetown came down and called timeout in front of its own bench with 5.5 seconds to play. Off the inbounds, Brunson came off a screen and got the ball just outside the three-point arc. She made a move to get by a pair of UNH defenders and went in for a layup to give Georgetown a 61-60 lead. UNH would call timeout with three seconds left and tried a long inbounds pass, but GU's Carmen Bruce picked off the attempt to end the game.

The guests took a 39-32 lead with 14:41 to play after a Sarah Jenkins basket, but UNH then went on a 8-1 run capped by a Matthias three-point play with 10:57 to go to tie the game at 40. Lisicky then drained a pair of back-to-back three-pointers to put the Hoyas up six, but UNH responded with a 8-0 run capped by a fast break layup by Emily Hardy (Westbrook, Conn.) after a Poulin steal to take a 50-48 lead with 7:52 to go.

UNH opened the game on a 10-5 run but Georgetown responded with a 14-0 run to take a 19-10 lead with 12:10 remaining in the opening stanza. UNH would fall no further behind and cut the lead to two, 31-29, with 15 seconds to play on a Williams three-point play. LeSueur converted a layup with three seconds left in the half to put GU up 33-29 at the break.

UNH outrebounded the Hoyas 47-39 on the afternoon, including a 31-25 edge on the defensive glass.

UNH returns to action Wednesday (December 3) when it travels to Quinnipiac for a 7:00 contest. The next Wildcat home game is December 11 when UNH entertains Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

View: Mobile | Desktop