Women's Soccer Falls to Maine, 1-0

DURHAM, N.H. -- The University of New Hampshire women's soccer team fell to the University of Maine Sunday afternoon by a score of 1-0. The game was held at Bremner Field.  

The loss drops the Wildcats to 4-6-6 on the year and to 2-1-3 in America East play while Maine improves to 7-4-4 overall and to 4-1-1 in conference atction.

Prior to the match, five seniors were honored on the field in a pregame ceremony. Goalkeeper Erica Correa (Cheshire, Conn.), back Tara Fraprie (Farmington, Conn.), midfielder Colleen Murray (Bedford, N.H.), back Kelsi O'Neil (Hampton, N.H.) and midfielder Kristi Zarrilli (Gorham, Maine) all were honored for their performance and dedication to the program during their tenure.

The Wildcats got the offense started in the ninth minute of play when Murray rifled a pair of shots and Zarrilli one shot, all three of which were on net. Maine goalkeeper Lauren Swant made saves on all three attempts. Freshman Anna Deweirdt (Seattle, Wash.) also took aim at the net, but her attempt was blocked by the Black Bear defense.

Maine's Eve L'Abbe attempted to get the Black Bears on the board as she took a shot, however her attempt was high of the target. New Hampshire's Kirsten O'Neil (Hampton, N.H.) nearly got the 'Cats on the board in the 36th minute as she received a corner kick from Murray. Her shot was saved by Swant. At the end of the first half, the score was tied, 0-0.

In the 63rd minute, Murray took aim at the Maine net as she blasted a shot with her left foot from nearly 25 yards out into the wind. The shot was saved by Swant, who made a leaping save to tip the ball over the net.

The Black Bears gave Wildcat goalkeeper Mimi Borkan (Medfield, Mass.) her first test of the game in the 68th minute when Charlene Achille took aim at the target. The freshman made the save on the shot. Arianne Leclerc and Eve L'Abbe also recorded shots-on-goal, but Borkan stood tall and made the saves.

In the 87th minute of play, Jordan Pellerin broke the tie to give Maine a 1-0 lead. The goal came when Pellerin took a first shot that was saved by Borkan. However, Pellerin garnered the rebound and shot it to the lower left corner of the net for the goal. At the end of the game, Maine held on for a 1-0 win.

Borkan made four saves on the five shots she faced on net. Her record falls to 3-3-5. Swant made saves on all five shots she faced in the game, improving her record to 7-4-3.

The Wildcats will remain on the road for the final two games of the season as they travel to Stony Brook first. The game is set for Thursday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop