VILLANOVA, Pa. — In the wind and snow at Villanova Stadium, the second-ranked Villanova University football team advanced out of the NCAA FCS quarterfinal round of action with a 46-7 victory against 10th-ranked University of New Hampshire on Saturday afternoon.

UNH’s season ends at 10-3, while Villanova, which lost 28-24 at UNH on Oct. 10, improved to 12-1 and will play William & Mary in a semifinal matchup of CAA teams.

UNH, the 2009 CAA North Division champion, has enjoyed an amazing NCAA Division I FCS Championship run with six straight appearances in the tournament and advancing to the quarterfinal round five times. UNH posted 10 wins this season to give the program four 10-win campaigns since 2004 (2004, 2005, 2008 and 2009). UNH recorded the most wins ever in a season in 2005 with an 11-2 record.

On the game’s opening drive, a UNH fumble resulted in a four yard return for a touchdown by Villanova’s John Dempsey with 14:45 on the clock in the first quarter and Villanova led 7-0 after the PAT.

Villanova then took a 10-0 lead at 8:23 of the opening stanza on Nick Yako’s 32-yard field goal. The home team jumped out to a 17-0 advantage with 25 seconds left in the first quarter when running back Angelo Babbaro (13 carries, 148 yards, 2 TD) scored on a 25-yard run along the left sideline.

The scoring for Villanova continued when quarterback Chris Whitney (14 carries, 58 yards) dove in from one yard out to give the home team a 24-0 lead with 10:28 remaining in the first half.

In the first half, UNH was outgained by a 239 to minus-33 yard margin and had no first downs. UNH had 13 carries for -50 yards and junior quarterback R.J. Toman (Mission Viejo, Calif.) completed 2 of 7 passes for 17 yards.

Trailing 24-0 at the beginning of the third quarter, Toman was backed up in his own end zone and was tackled by Phil Matusz for a safety at 11:49.

Villanova scored again with 7:11 left in the third quarter to take a 32-0 lead on a 29-yard touchdown run by Matt Szczur (two catches, 46 yards). The two-point conversion pass was intercepted by Sean Ware (Bristol, Conn.).

Babbaro struck again at 4:24 when he ran 59 yards for paydirt to give Villanova a 39-0 lead after the PAT.

New Hampshire got on the scoreboard at 14:25 of the fourth quarter on an 18-yard pass play from Kevin Decker (Armonk, N.Y.) to Mickey Mangieri (Bedford, N.Y.). Tom Manning (Rome, N.Y.) made the PAT to move the score to 39-7.

Antwon Young scored on a 1-yard run at 4:02 to push the homestanding Wildcats’ lead to 46-7.

Toman ended the game 6-for-18 for 46 yards. Decker was 11 of 21 for 104 yards, including the touchdown play. J.T. Wright (Agoura Hills, Calif.) was the top ‘Cat receiver with six catches for 51 yards. Scott Sicko (Stillwater, N.Y.) caught two passes for 29 yards.

View: Mobile | Desktop