New Hampshire field hockey rallies past Yale, 5-3

DURHAM, N.H. - Jenn Harrison (Hanover, Mass.) and Katie White (Glens Falls, N.Y.) scored goals 3:25 apart in the second half to turn a 3-2 halftime deficit into a 4-3 lead and propel the University of New Hampshire field hockey team to Friday night's 5-3 victory against Yale University at Memorial Field.

UNH, playing the first night game in the history of Memorial Field, improved to 3-1 at home and 3-4 overall, while Yale fell to 1-3 on the season.

Trailing 3-2 at the half, UNH capitalized on its penalty corner opportunities to take the lead. Harrison, who leads the team with four goals, tied the game 3-3 at 45:25 when her shot from the top of the circle deflected off a Yale defender's stick and into the cage. Lauren Bruce (Amherst, N.Y.) was credited with her second assist of the game on the tally.

On UNH's next penalty corner, Harrison opted to pass down low to Jen Stamp (Tyngsboro, Mass.), whose point-blank shot was stopped by Bulldog goalkeeper Krissy Nesburg (six saves). The ball trickled out to the right, however, where White was standing to direct the ball into the open cage and give the 'Cats their first lead of the game, 4-3, with 21:10 remaining.

New Hampshire extended its advantage to two goals, 5-3, at 61:03 when a flurry of action in front of the Yale cage resulted in a goal by Heidi Anderson (Hampton Falls, N.H.).

Yale responded offensively by generating four penalty corners in the next five minutes but the Bulldogs were held at bay by UNH goalkeeper Christine Buckley (Walpole, Mass.), who finished with eight saves.

Yale quickly established a 2-0 lead in the first half on goals produced from penalty corners. Trish Bissett scored on a rebound from a Meredith Hudson shot at 3:19 and Jana Halfon scored from the left post off a Hudson rebound at 4:59.

UNH rallied to tie the game, 2-2. Caitlin Gillen (New Preston, Conn.) trimmed the deficit to one goal at 14:15 when she corralled a pass from MacKenzie Stuart (Washington Depot, Conn.) deep on the left side and swept the ball into the cage. Brittany Schneider (Middletown, Md.) leveled the score when her blast from the top of the circle on a penalty corner found the back of the cage at 24:17.

The Bulldogs regained the lead, 3-2, with 55 seconds remaining in the opening half on a 12-yard blast from Fran Gardner on the left wing.

New Hampshire returns to action Sept. 23 for its America East conference opener at Boston University. The game, which will be played at MIT, is at 7 p.m. The next Wildcat home game is Sept. 28 (12 p.m.) vs. Duke.

View: Mobile | Desktop