New Hampshire field hockey upends Maine, 3-2

DURHAM, N.H. - Brittany Schneider (Middletown, Md.) scored a goal on a penalty stroke 9:21 into the first overtime session to lead the University of New Hampshire field hockey team to Friday afternoon's 3-2 America East victory against the University of Maine at Memorial Field.

UNH won its fifth consecutive game to improve to 9-8 overall and remain atop the America East standings with a 4-0 record. Maine is now 12-5 and 2-2 in league play.

With the game tied 2-2 through regulation, UNH was awarded a penalty stroke with 5:39 remaining in the first overtime. Schneider blasted a low shot inside the right post to give the Wildcats a victory at 79:21.

Maine's best chance in overtime occurred 3:17 into the extra frame, when the Black Bears were awarded a penalty stroke. Meagan Connolly's low shot towards the right post was deflected wide by UNH goalkeeper Christine Buckley (Walpole, Mass.), who went down into a split to make the save.

Buckley finished with eight saves, including four in overtime, while Maine's Jaye Lance stopped four shots.

The Black Bears took a 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute when Rachael Hilgar, with the assistance of Karly Bundy, scored into an open cage from close range. UNH tied the score, 1-1, when Caitlin Gillen (New Preston, Conn.) drove along the left endline and made a centering pass to Katie White (Glens Falls, N.Y.), who jammed the ball into the cage at 29:27.

Maine regained the lead, 2-1, at 58:51. Hilgar stole the ball just outside the 25 and broke in on Buckley alone. After shifting to the right, Hilgar fired the ball into an open cage.

UNH called time out and tied the game 70 seconds later. Sam Carr (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) intercepted a pass at midfield and pushed the ball into the circle. She went unchecked by Maine's defense and fired a low shot into the right corner.

New Hampshire returns to action Oct. 26 at home vs. the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. Game time at Memorial Field is 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop