– Senior forward Emily Colton (Milton, Mass.) scored her team-leading sixth goal of the season, but the University of New Hampshire field hockey team was defeated 2-1 by intrastate rival Dartmouth College on Sunday afternoon at Memorial Field.
    UNH fell to 1-10 and Dartmouth improved to 3-5 with its second consecutive win. The road team has now won each of the last five meetings in this series.
    New Hampshire opened the game with early pressure and Sarah Craigue (Concord, N.H.) was denied by DC goalkeeper Ashley Heist (seven saves) after getting behind the defense along the right end line. UNH generated a corner moments later and Colton’s shot from the top of the circle was denied by Heist’s outstretched arms.
    Dartmouth began to create pressure at the other end of the field and Leigh Rorick was denied on back-to-back shots at the left post six minutes into the game. The Big Green took a 1-0 lead at 8:28. Katy Hagy initiated the sequence at the top of the circle to Rorick, whose shot from the middle of the circle was tipped into the cage by Lizzie Bildner at the right post.
    UNH pulled even at 12:00 when Colton swatted a waist-high loose ball into the cage from close range.
    DC regained the lead at 22:56 when Hagy collected a long outlet pass outside the 25-line, pulled the ball to the left around UNH charging goalie Margaux Shute (Norridgewock, Maine; nine saves), chased down the ball and fired a shot into the open cage.
    The Wildcats generated two penalty corners in the closing minute of the half, including an untimed corner at the end. Colton once again fired a shot from the top of the circle, but this time the low blast was stopped by Heist’s leg pads.
    UNH started strong again in the second half, and a long hit by Sam Geary (Norwood, Mass.) was tipped wide left by Shauna Sellenger (Londonderry, N.H.) with 70 seconds elapsed.
    Dartmouth began to control possession, however, and UNH did not record another shot until Sellenger’s blast from the top-left of the circle was stopped by Heist at the near post with 6:30 remaining in the second half.
    UNH’s Michelle Tavener (Winchester, Mass.) swept a shot from the top of the circle wide left with four minutes to play but the Big Green kept the Wildcats’ attack at bay the rest of the way to secure the win.
    New Hampshire returns to action Oct. 8 at home against Albany. Game time at Memorial Field is 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop