DURHAM, N.H.  –  Michele Polizois and Jess Lindsey both recorded a goal and an assist to lead the University at Albany field hockey team to Sunday afternoon’s 5-0 America East victory against the University of New Hampshire at Memorial Field.
    UNH fell to 1-11 overall and 0-2 in the conference with the loss while Albany won its third consecutive game – all by shutout – to improve to 10-3, 2-0.
    The Wildcats generated early pressure in the game and produced penalty corners, but no shots on the cage. Albany called time out at 11:57 and subsequently began to control play.
    The Great Danes took a 1-0 lead at 16:38 when Michelle Simpson scored her 13th goal of the season. UNH goalkeeper Margaux Shute (Norridgewock, Maine) stopped Simpson’s initial shot from the left side, but Simpson gathered the rebound and drove the ball across the goalmouth inside the right post.
    Albany held that 1-0 lead and a 9-3 shot advantage at halftime, then pulled away from the ‘Cats early in the second half with three goals in the opening 11 minutes. Linsdey scored on a penalty corner at 38:41 when she started the sequence on the left end line and finished it off by redirecting Polizois’ shot from the top of the circle. Polizois’ shot from the top of the circle on UA’s next penalty corner went directly into the cage to extend the lead to 3-0 at 43:44.
    UNH called time out at that point, but Albany’s Nicole Savage capped the scoring surge 2:12 later when she stopped Westdorp’s long hit at the middle of the circle, turned and fired a shot into the cage.
    Jamie Flagg, with the assistance of Jessica Woodall, scored into an open cage at 61:07 to give UA a 5-0 lead.
    Shute exited the game with nine saves at 63:11 and Holly Schurk (Northford, Conn.) stopped the only shot she faced in the final 6:49 of the game. Schurk’s entry ended Shute’s consecutive minutes played at 2191:49 (dating back to the 2005 season opener).
    UA goalie Ashley Ross made four saves, all in the last seven minutes, to record the shutout. UNH had a dangerous sequence with an Emily Colton (Milton, Mass.) shot near the right post and a blast by Brittany Jacobs (Frederick, Md.) off the ensuing penalty corner. Ross was tested again with 4:40 remaining when Colton, standing seven feet from the cage, redirected a Shauna Sellenger (Londonderry, N.H.) centering pass from the right wing.
    New Hampshire returns to action Oct. 13 (1 p.m.) at the University of Maine. The next Wildcats’ home game is Oct. 15 vs. Providence. Game time at Memorial Field is 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop