– Dainelle Collins scored three goals, including the game-winning tally 39 seconds into overtime, to lift the University of Vermont field hockey team to Saturday afternoon’s 4-3 America East victory against the University of New Hampshire at Memorial Field.
    UNH, which needed to win to keep its postseason hopes intact, fell to 1-14 overall and 0-4 in America East. Vermont improved to 10-6, 3-1.
    With UNH leading 3-2, Vermont called time out at 64:02. Approximately two-and-a-half minutes later, the Catamounts pulled even on Collins’ second goal of the game. UNH goalkeeper Margaux Shute (Norridgewock, Maine) stopped Maegan Luce’s initial shot from the left wing, but Collins scored from the ensuing scrum in front of the cage at 66:39.
    UVM was awarded an untimed penalty corner at the end of regulation, but Kim Striegler’s shot was blocked and the Wildcats cleared the ball from the circle to force overtime.
    Collins put an end to the game when she cut through the defense from the left side of the circle to the center and swept the ball into the cage at 70:39.
    Shute recorded eight saves, including six in the second half. UVM goalie Kristen Heavens finished with four saves.
    The teams combined for three goals in a span of 1:49 early in the first half. Vermont took a 1-0 lead at 9:51 when Luce’s knee-high drive from the left wing was redirected into the cage by Collins, who was standing in the middle of the circle.
    UNH responded to tie the score, 1-1, at 11:06 when a low drive from the top of the circle by Shauna Sellenger (Londonderrry, N.H.) was pushed into the cage by Brooke Bercari (Bordentown, N.J.). The Catamounts regained the lead just 34 seconds later, however, as Besty Welsh’s centering pass from the right wing was redirected in by Luce, who was positioned six feet in front of the cage.
    Emily Colton (Milton, Mass.) scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season to pull the Wildcats even at 34:49. Megan Shea (Melrose, Mass.) kept the ball in play deep in the left circle and fired a shot that was stopped by Heavens at the near post, but the rebound went to Colton in front and she scored.
    The teams entered the second half tied at 2-2 and the Wildcats took their first lead of the game when Sarah Craigue (Concord, N.H.) scored at 48:27. Craigue, amongst a crowd in the middle of the circle, redirected the long entry pass by Sam Geary (Norwood, Mass.).
    Colton and fellow seniors Anita Anastasi (Watertown, Mass.) and Holly Schurk (Northford, Conn.) were honored prior to the game as part of the Senior Day festivities, as this marked the Wildcats’ last home game of the 2006 season.
    New Hampshire returns to action Oct. 22 (2 p.m.) at Boston College, then concludes the regular season next week with road games against UMass (Oct. 25) and UMBC (Oct. 28).
View: Mobile | Desktop