Shauna Sellenger (Londonderry, N.H.) set up a pair of second-half penalty-corner goals to propel the University of New Hampshire field hockey team to Friday night’s 3-2 non-conference victory against Colgate University at Memorial Field.

UNH improved to 2-0 while Colgate fell to 0-2. The win marked the 150th career victory for New Hampshire’s 17th-year head coach Robin Balducci, who is the winningest coach in the program’s history.

Trailing 2-1 at halftime, the Wildcats executed a pair of penalty corners similarly to regain the lead. Both corners started with Sarah Craigue (Concord, N.H.; goal) on the push from the left side to Sellenger at the top of the circle. On the game-tying tally at 39:27, Sellenger moved the ball to the top-left corner, where Sam Geary (Norwood, Mass.) fired a low shot into the cage to score her first career goal.

UNH took the 3-2 lead at 48:43 on a penalty corner in which once again Craigue pushed the ball to Sellenger, who repeated the motion of passing to the top-left corner. This time Sophie Ostroski (Intervale, N.H.) was in position to fire the shot into the cage for her first goal of the season (second career tally).

Colgate called time out at 52:50 and generated some scoring opportunities the rest of the way. Laura Flisnik was driving down the middle of the field when UNH back Cally Cooke (Newburyport, Mass.) poke checked the ball at the top of the circle to deny the breakaway bid with 10:00 remaining. The Raiders had a corner with approximately six minutes remaining, but the hit from the top of the circle was stopped by teammate Amanda Gilmore in the middle and the visitors did not record a shot in that sequence. Moments later, Katelyn Nerbonne, positioned at the right post, tipped the ball across an open goalmouth and wide of the far post.

New Hampshire called time out at that point – with 4:28 remaining – and kept Colgate out of the circle the rest of the way to preserve the one-goal lead.

UNH goalkeeper Margaux Shute (Norridgewock, Maine) recorded four saves, all in the first half. Colgate counterpart Sarah Pedersen stopped four shots each half for a total of eight saves.

The Wildcats took an early 1-0 lead when Craigue scored 38 seconds after the opening whistle. She dribbled to the top of the circle and her low shot rolled inside the left post.

Colgate quickly responded with a goal at 3:04 to tie the game. Lauren Remkus gained possession deep on the left side, maneuvered pass Shute and a defender across the goalmouth and tucked the ball inside the open right post.

The Raiders took a 2-1 lead on one of their two first-half corners. Natali Plesniarski made the push from the left side to Maddie Watrobski for the stop at the top of the circle, and then Lauren Carey’s low shot bounded into the middle of the cage at 18:06.

UNH’s Brooke Bercari (Bordentown, N.J.) came close to tying the game off a penalty corner with 4:30 to play in the opening half. Following Craigue’s push and Sellenger’s stop, Bercari blasted a low shot that caromed off the left post.

UNH generated a 9-8 shot advantage in the first half and had a 17-12 edge overall. The Wildcats also generated the edge in corners at 5-2 in the opening 35 mintues and 7-5 in 70 minutes.

Sellenger, who recorded a goal and an assist in UNH’s season-opening 3-1 win against St. Louis University, has three assists this year to equal her career total from her first three seasons as a Wildcat. Ostroski, with a goal and two assists in two games this season, has surpassed her rookie total of two points (one goal).

New Hampshire returns to action at home Sept. 2 against Rider University. Game time at Memorial Field is 2 p.m.
View: Mobile | Desktop