DURHAM, N.H.Brittany Jacobs (Frederick, Md.) recorded a career-high two assists to propel the University of New Hampshire field hockey team to a two-goal lead in the first half, but Boston University rallied behind two Giovanna Monaco goals to record a 3-2 victory in Friday afternoon’s America East action at Memorial Field.

UNH, playing at home for the first time since Sept. 14, is now 4-7 overall and 0-1 in America East. BU won its second consecutive game to improve to 5-6, 1-0.

Meg Shea (Melrose, Mass.) extended her goal-scoring streak to three games when she gave the Wildcats a 1-0 lead at 2:56. On the first penalty corner of the game, Hayley Rausch (Severna Park, Md.) initiated the play as the hitter and Kendall Deck (Bridgewater, N.J.), after making the stop, pushed the ball wide left for Jacobs. She sent the ball deep towards the right post and Shea redirected a shot into the open near side of the cage.

The ‘Cats extended the lead to 2-0 at 21:57. Kate Collins Smyth (Parteen, County Claire, Ireland) moved the ball from the right wing to the top of the circle for Jacobs’ drive to the left post that was redirected high into the goal by Whitney Frates (Woodstock, Vt.).

BU called time out at that point and responded with a goal at 24:05. The Terriers worked the ball down low to Nikki Lloyd, whose shot was stopped by UNH goalkeeper Jenna Lehman (Kingston, Pa.). The rebound was controlled in the middle by Monaco and she blasted the ball into the left side.

UNH held that 2-1 lead at the half, but the Terriers capitalized on one of their three second-half corners to pull even at 53:14. Gabby Hajjar triggered the ball in play to the top of the circle, where Sheena Berry swung the ball left to Holly Wiles. She then shot low inside the far post.

BU continued to pressure and took its first lead, 3-2, at 60:10 on Monaco’s second goal of the game. Lehman stopped Allie Dolce’s initial shot from deep on the right side, but Monaco corralled the rebound near the top of the circle and fired a low shot through traffic into the cage.

UNH called a timeout, but was unable to generate pressure inside the circle the rest of the way.

Lehman finished with five saves and BU’s Kim Kastuk stopped two shots.

The Terriers tallie a 12-5 shot advantage and a 5-1 edge in penalty corners.

New Hampshire returns to action at home Oct. 5 against regional rival Northeastern University. Game time at Memorial Field is 5 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop