Box Score

Whitney Frates (Woodstock, Vt.) scored two goals and both Sarah Craigue (Concord, N.H.) and Hayley Rausch (Severna Park, Md.) recorded a goal and an assist to propel the University of New Hampshire field hockey team to Sunday evening’s 4-1 non-conference victory against Northeastern University at Memorial Field.

UNH improved to 5-7 overall while NU fell to 6-5. The Wildcats had lost nine straight in this series – five by one goal – dating back to a 1-0 home win in October 1999.

Frates extended her point-scoring streak to four games with her first career multiple-goal game. UNH goalkeeper Jenna Lehman (Kingston, Pa.) made six saves, including five in the first half. NU goalie Colleen Duffy, who entered the game with a 1.10 goals-against-average and .814 save percentage, was credited with three saves.

In the 10th minute of the game, Craigue’s shot from the top of the circle was knocked aside by Duffy with a diving stick save at the left post. Northeastern generated a dangerous opportunity moments later hen Pam Aldridge’s shot from high in the circle caromed off Lehman and the left post before bounding out of play. UNH generated another dangerous bid in the 18th minute when Meg Shea (Melrose, Mass.) drove deep along the right endline and pushed the ball to a nearby Leah Boody (Amesbury, Mass.), who fired wide of the near post.

Craigue gave New Hampshire a 1-0 lead at 21:24. Rausch, deep on the left wing, moved the ball to Brittany Jacobs (Frederick, Md.) just outside of the top-left side of the circle. Jacobs’ low hit to the left post was redirected high into the cage by Craigue for her seventh goal of the season.

In the 23rd minute, NU generated pressure in the circle and Annie Clayman lifted a close-range shot over the cage.

Rausch scored with 43 seconds remaining in the half to extend UNH’s advantage to 2-0. With the ‘Cats pressuring, a loose ball went from the stick of Craigue in the middle of the circle to Rausch deep on the left side. Rausch settled the ball quickly and fired a low shot into the cage for her seventh tally of the season.

Frates gave UNH a 3-0 lead at 50:29. Jacobs started a transition attack with a hit through the middle from midfield that was directed further ahead by Boody. Rausch raced behind the Huskies defense to corral the ball and push it to the left past the oncoming Duffy. Frates then redirected the ball into the open cage.

Northeastern called time out at that point and began to generate sustained pressure. The Huskies pulled within 3-1 at 55:36 when Aldridge maneuvered from the top-left of the circle to middle-left and struck a high bouncing ball into the cage.

With just under 10 minutes to play, NU’s Carolyn Malloy chased down a long hit behind the Wildcats’ defense and fended off a UNH defender just outside the circle. Lehman charged off the line, however, made a sliding save and then poked the ball out of the circle to a teammate.

NU threatened again in the 54th minute, when Aldridge swept a low shot through traffic that ricocheted off the left post and out of play.

UNH called time out at 64:43 and limited the Huskies to one shot – which was blocked by the defense – the rest of the way.

Frates potted her sixth goal of the season with 61 seconds remaining to secure the win. Rausch’s initial shot from the middle of the circle was stopped by Duffy, but Frates snared the rebound and scored from close range.

New Hampshire concludes its three-game homestand Oct. 8 against intrastate rival Dartmouth College. Game time at Memorial Field is 7 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop