No. 24 Field Hockey Edged by No. 2 Syracuse, 3-2

DURHAM, N.H. – Junior Megan Bozek (Cortland Manor, N.Y.) scored the go-ahead goal early in the second half to give the 24th-ranked University of New Hampshire field hockey team a 2-1 lead, but second-ranked Syracuse rallied for a 3-2 victory Friday afternoon at Memorial Field.

UNH now stands at 1-3 overall, while Syracuse improves to 4-0 on the season. Sophomore Carlie Tarbell (Wakefield, Mass.) tallied a career-high nine saves in goal for the Wildcats, while Orange goalie Leann Striver made one stop.

The Orange took the early 1-0 lead at 8:25 when Gillian Pinder drove down the left flank and in front of the UNH zone, sending a shot to the back right of the cage for the unassisted goal.

New Hampshire evened up the score, 1-1, just over a minute later at the 9:33 mark. Junior Hannah Richard (Hopkinton, N.H.) drove through traffic in Orange territory and sent a clean pass right to sophomore Meg Flatley (Townsend, Mass.), who tipped it past Striver for the equalizer.

The UNH defense stepped up for the remainder of the stanza, backboned by Tarbell who posted seven saves in the opening period. The score was even at halftime with Syracuse holding the advantage in shots (12-2) and corners (7-1).

The Wildcats drew first blood in the second half as Bozek pushed her team out in front, 2-1, just over 10 minutes into the period. After sophomore Emma Erler (New Hampton, N.H.) sent a penalty corner to the top of the circle, Bozek swung a hard shot at a charging Striver and the ball tipped over the goalie and into the top of the cage. Sophomore Kellie Joyce (South Pomfret, Vt.) was also credited with an assist.

The Wildcats held the opposition at bay for the next 19 minutes, until Syracuse evened the score at 2-2 on a goal by Lauren Brooks with less than seven minutes left in regulation. Iona Holloway was also credited with an assist on the play.

Syracuse came right back to take the 3-2 lead in the final minute of play. Emma Russell took advantage of a breakaway down the right side and sent a pass across the field to a waiting Alyssa Manley, who tipped it home to seal the victory.

Syracuse finished with an 18-5 shot advantage and also won the battle for penalty corners by a 9-4 margin.

The Wildcats return to action on Sunday, Sept. 9 when they visit Holy Cross at noon.

View: Mobile | Desktop