Tarbell Matches Career-High Nine Saves as #16 Field Hockey Edged 3-2 in 2OT by #5 UConn

STORRS, Conn.Carlie Tarbell (Wakefield, Mass.) matched her personal best of nine saves, but Chloe Hunnable scored at 1:57 of second overtime to lift the fifth-ranked University of Connecticut field hockey team to a 3-2 non-conference victory against 16th-ranked University of New Hampshire at the Sherman Family Complex on Friday night.

UNH, which entered the game with a three-game win streak following last Sunday's double-overtime victory against then-No. 7 Northeastern University, is now 4-4 overall, 1-2 in games decided beyond regulation, 1-3 against nationally-ranked teams and 1-4 in games decided by one goal.

UConn, which had the edge in both shots (19-10) and penalty corners (11-6), remains unbeaten at 8-0.

Tarbell made two of her nine saves in the opening 15-minute overtime session. UConn counterpart Sarah Mansfield stopped three shots, including one in the second OT. Hunnable tallied 11 shots and factored in all three UConn tallies with two goals and an assist.

Hunnable recorded the initial shot of the second extra session, but the ball sailed over the crossbar. At the other end of the field, Meg Flatley (Townsend, Mass.) was denied by Mansfield. The Huskies counterattacked and were awarded at corner at 86:36 that led to Hunnable's game-winning goal, which was set up by Katherine Baker, at 86:57.

Emma Erler (New Hampton, N.H.) gave the Wildcats an early 1-0 lead with an unassisted goal, her second tally of the season, at 5:51.

The Huskies took a 2-1 lead with goals in the 11th and 16th minutes. UConn converted its second penalty corner of the game into a goal when Louisa Boddy set up Hunnable at 10:41. Neither team recorded another shot until the next Huskies' corner, when Boddy fired a shot wide of the cage at 14:47. UConn maintained pressure and generated another corner that resulted in Marie Elena Bolles redirecting Hunnable's strike into the cage for a goal and 2-1 lead at 15:44.

Flatley, who entered the game with a five-goal scoring streak, was denied by Mansfield in the 18th minute and then on a corner in the 21st minute, a shot off the stick of Taylor Rideout (Barrington, R.I.) was blocked by a UConn defender.

At the other end of the field, Tarbell kept the 'Cats within one goal by stopping shots from Bolles in the 20th minute and Hayley Hoge in the 23rd minute.

The home squad led by that 2-1 score at halftime with the edge in shots (8-4) and penalty corners (4-2).

The Huskies generated the initial pressure in the second half when they generated a corner in the 42nd minute, but Tarbell denied Hunnable's shot. UConn was whistled for a green card at 44:19 and had to play shorthanded for the ensuing two minutes, but the Wildcats did not record a shot.

UNH did generate pressure in the 48th minute and Lynne Lehman (Landisburg, Pa.) recorded a shot wide. The Wildcats continued to attack and were awarded their third corner of the game. Erler inserted the ball into play, and a low, hard drive by Casey Pohlmeyer (Millersville, Md.) was punched inside the near post from close range by Hannah Richard (Hopkinton, N.H.) to tie the score, 2-2, at 49:41.

UConn responded with another corner in the 52nd minute, then, in the 55th minute, Tarbell denied Hunnable twice off another corner. The Huskies earned another corner, but this time Hunnable's shot was blocked by a charging UNH defender.

On the Wildcats' second corner of the half (in the 63rd minute), Pohlmeyer's shot was blocked by a Huskies' defender.

The home team earned a corner with two minutes remaining in regulation, but Tarbell once again denied Hunnable to keep the score deadlocked and send the game into overtime. Through the end of regulation, UConn led in shots (13-7) and corners (9-4).

New Hampshire had the momentum early in the extra session with back-to-back penalty corners, but shots by both Pohlmeyer and Megan Bozek (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) were blocked. After Tarbell stopped Hunnable on another Huskies' corner – in the 76th minute – UConn had a player-up advantage for the last five minutes of the first OT.

Hunnable's shot with 2:03 on the clock was turned aside by Tarbell. UConn then called time out at 83:29 and recorded shots off target by Vicky Arthur (at 83:58) and Hunnable (84:30), but the game went into a second extra session.

Richard's team-leading eighth goal of the season extended her goal streak to four games and point streak to six.

New Hampshire returns to action Sept. 28 (3 p.m.) for its America East conference opener at Fairfield University. The Wildcats' next home game is Oct. 5 against the University at Albany. Game time at Memorial Field is 3 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop