Men's Basketball Takes Down Binghamton, 64-49

VESTAL, N.Y. – Juniors Chandler Rhoads (Berryville, Va.) and Ferg Myrick (Philadelphia, Pa.) poured in 19 and 18 points, respectively, propelling the University of New Hampshire men's basketball team to a 64-49 victory over Binghamton University on Sunday afternoon at the Events Center.

With the victory the Wildcats improve to 7-11 overall and 2-5 in America East play while the Bearcats drop to 0-19 and 0-7 in league action.
 Ferg Myrick

Rhoads collected America East Player of the Game honors for UNH, adding four boards and one assist to his line. He finished the afternoon shooting 6-for-9 from the floor, 3-for-6 from deep and 4-for-4 from the free throw line.

Robert Mansell was named player of the game for Binghamton, registering 19 points and seven rebounds.  

Myrick's point total was a season high and just three points shy of his career best mark. He also tallied eight rebounds and two helpers. Alvin Abreu (Lynn, Mass.) was the only other Wildcat to score in double-figures with 12 points to go along with three assists, two boards and two steals.

Both teams battled back-and-forth for the first 15 minutes of the action, knotting the score six times before Abreu and Myrick knocked down 3-pointers to set off a 12-2 run to close out the stanza.

Bronner would knock down 1-of-2 free throws and Myrick added three points the old-fashioned-way on back-to-back possessions, giving the Wildcats their first double-digit lead of the contest, 31-21, with 40 seconds remaining in the first half. Chris Matagrano (Sayreville, N.J.) polished off the stretch when Jordon Bronner (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) set him up with a layup on the block to give the 'Cats a 33-23 lead at the break.

After Myrick extended the advantage to 11 on a layup with 12:33 remaining in regulation, Mansell sank a jumper and knocked down two sets of free throws to trim the score to 45-40 with 10:09 on the clock. It was the closest Binghamton had come to taking back the lead in nearly 15 minutes, but UNH held on and stepped up defensively, limiting the Bearcats to just one field goal over the next five minutes.

The Wildcats were just as impressive on the offensive side of the ball, as Abreu halted Mansell's six-point outburst, draining a 3-pointer to ignite a 16-5 run that pushed their advantage to its highest margin of the contest, 61-45, with 4:56 remaining in regulation.

Rhoads kept the scoring spurt going when he scored seven unanswered points to push the Wildcat lead to 13 with 8:43 remaining in regulation. He set off the stretch by burying a 3-pointer from the baseline with contact for the hoop and the harm, finishing off the play by knocking down the free throw that followed to set the score at 52-42. On the ensuing possession Rhoads was at it again, as Abreu hit him with a pass and he took it hard to the rack to net three points the old-fashioned-way to give New Hampshire the 55-42 advantage.

UNH's 7-0 run was interrupted when Jimmy Gray drained a 3-pointer from the top of the key, but the hiccup was quickly forgotten, as the Wildcats polished off the stretch with six unanswered points.

Binghamton would net just two field goals the rest of the way and Myrick knocked down 3-of-4 shots from the charity stripe down the stretch to put the Bearcats away for good.

The Wildcats are back in action when they take on the University of Maine on Wednesday, Jan. 25 (7 p.m.) at Lundholm Gymnasium. 
View: Mobile | Desktop