Konan, Myrick Lift Men’s Basketball Past Binghamton, 68-56

DURHAM, N.H. – Junior Patrick Konan (Gainesville, Fla.) notched a team-high 18 points and senior Ferg Myrick (Philadelphia, Pa.) posted his fifth double-double of the season to lead the University of New Hampshire men's basketball team past Binghamton University, 68-56, Saturday evening at Lundholm Gymnasium.

New Hampshire improves to 8-18 overall and 4-10 in America East, while Binghamton falls to 3-23 on the season and 1-13 in conference play.

Konan, who was named the America East Player of the Game, shot 7-of-14 from the floor to go with eight rebounds. Myrick lead the team in rebounds with 10 and added 11 points, while junior Scott Morris (Walkersville, Md.) posted a career-high 15 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the floor. 

Jordan Reed paced the Bearcats with 24 points and 16 rebounds, while Brian Freeman added 14 points and 6 boards.

New Hampshire shot 42 percent (23-55) in the contest, while the Bearcats went 44 percent (23-52) from the floor.

Senior Chandler Rhoads (Berryville, Va.) drew first blood for the Wildcats with an easy layup at 18:53. The squads swapped baskets for the next three minutes until Konan opened up the scoring with a second chance shot followed by a triple from Morris to put the home team up 9-4 at 14:17.

The Bearcats retaliated by putting seven unanswered points on the board, highlighted by Reed with four during the stretch. Senior Chris Matagrano (Sayreville, N.J.) hit a free throw to break up the streak but Jimmy Gray answered right back with a triple.

Myrick put together five points on his own to help offset back-to-back three pointers from Taylor Johnston and Reed to help trim the Bearcat lead to 19-16 with 8:58 left in the half.

Freeman added a layup for the Bearcats while Myrick and junior Chris Pelcher (Albany, N.Y.) combined for three points before the Bearcats would go on a 9-0 run. After Morris hit a trifecta to halt the stretch, the teams traded baskets for the remainder of the half to bring the score to 34-26 at intermission.

The teams traded a pair of baskets to open the second half before Myrick stepped back and hit a shot from beyond the arc to trim the deficit to 38-33. Myrick's shot sparked an 8-2 run as Morris capped the stretch with a trey, but Gray countered with a 3-pointer on the other end to help the visitors maintain a 43-38 lead at 12:19.

After UNH cut the lead to three at 9:39, Konan found his sweet spot in front of the Wildcat bench as the drained three consecutive 3-pointers to give the Wildcats the lead at 51-45 at 7:22. Binghamton countered with a lone free throw before Morris hit back-to-back treys to complete the 17-1 run and move the Wildcats in front, 57-46, with 5:38 left to play.

The Bearcats went on a quick 6-0 run to pull within six, 60-54, with 2:29 left in regulation, but the Wildcats stifled any home of a comeback by hitting six straight free throws as the home side shutout the Bearcats in the closing minute of the stanza to seal the victory.

The Wildcats return to action on Thursday, Feb. 28 when they travel to the SEFCU Arena to take on the University of Albany at 7 p.m. UNH will return home on Sunday, March 3 for its final game of the season where they play host to the University of Maine at 1 p.m. For tickets, visit www.unhwildcats.com or call (603) 862-4000, extension 5.

View: Mobile | Desktop