Men's Hockey Falls to Northeastern in Overtime, 5-4

BOSTON, MA - Freshman Jason Guerriero (Manorville, NY) scored his second goal of the game at 2:01 of overtime to give Northeastern a 5-4 victory over top-ranked New Hampshire on Friday night at Matthews Arena.

Senior captain Jim Fahey (Milton, MA), who had a goal and two assists in the game, put a shot on net from the left point that was deflected by Guerriero past UNH goalie Matt Carney (Bridgewater, MA) for the game-winner. Jared Mudryk (Leduc, ALB) also assisted on the play.

Fahey was responsible for the game reaching overtime. With Northeastern trailing 4-3 and the clock running out, Fahey took a pass inside the left faceoff circle from Eric Ortlip (St. Louis, MO). Fahey scored on a quick shot into the upper portion of the net with just one second remaining in regulation.

In a back and forth game, there were four ties and five lead changes, with neither team capable of taking more than a one-goal advantage. The Huskies improve to 17-11-3, 10-7-2 in Hockey East while UNH drops to 20-6-3, 12-4-3 in Hockey East.

The Wildcats got on the board first at 13:13 when Garrett Stafford (Los Angeles, CA) took a pass from Lanny Gare (Vernon, BC), moved in front and scored his fifth of the season. The Huskies came back to tie the game just 42 seconds later. Guerriero scored his first of the night off a wrist shot from the left side. The Huskies took a 2-1 lead at 17:11 of the first on a goal by Trevor Reschny (Macklin, SASK). Leon Hayward (Seattle, WA) passed behind the UNH net to Brian Tudrick (Stow, MA) who spotted Reschny in front. It was Reschny's fourth of the year.

The Wildcats came back to tie the game in the second period. UNH opened the period with a flurry of shots but were turned aside by NU goalie Keni Gibson (Stittsville, ONT), who made 14 stops in the middle period. Finally at 11:09, Nathan Martz (Chilliwack, BC) broke though with his second of the year from Jim Abbott (Mars, PA) and Patrick Foley (Milton, MA).

The Huskies would reclaim the lead, 3-2, just 48 seconds into the third period. Gibson passed to Fahey who dumped the puck into the UNH zone to Chris Lynch (Duxbury, MA). Lynch skated in front and fired a low-shot that beat Carney for Lynch's 17th of the season. Next, though, it would be the Wildcats' turn. Ed Caron (Hudson, NH) had his shot stopped by Gibson but sophomore defenseman Tyler Scott (Rockville, MD) was at the left post in position to knock in the rebound to tie the game at 2:36. It was Scott's first career goal. For most of the game, Northeastern was able to keep UNH's top scoring threats off the scoresheet. But at 8:18, UNH's second leading scorer Colin Hemingway (Surrey, BC) scored the go-ahead goal from in front off an assist by Gare. It was Hemingway's 22nd of the season.

Gibson finished the game with 30 saves while Carney made 22 for UNH.

The game marked the return to the NU lineup for senior assistant captain Willie Levesque (Vineyard Haven, MA). Levesque broke a finger against UMass-Lowell Jan. 18 and sat out the last seven games after having a pin placed in the finger. The pin was removed on Monday Feb. 11. He had one assist on the night.

It was Guerriero's second two-goal game of the season and Fahey's sixth game with at least three points.

The same two teams will battle tomorrow night at the Whittemore Center in a game to be televised live on Fox Sports New England.

View: Mobile | Desktop