No. 8 New Hampshire hockey falls to Boston U., 4-3, in OT

DURHAM, N.H.- David Van der Gulik scored an unassisted goal at 2:30 of overtime to lift the Boston University hockey team to Saturday night's 4-3 Hockey East overtime victory against the eighth-ranked University of New Hampshire at the Whittemore Center.

UNH, which could have earned the third seed in the Hockey East tournament with a victory, ends the regular season at 18-12-6 overall and 10-8-6 in the league. The Wildcats finished fourth in the standings and will play host to Providence College in the quarterfinals. Boston University, which needed the win to advance to the postseason due to Northeastern University's 3-2 victory against Massachusetts earlier in the night, improved to 10-15-9, 6-13-5 and will be the eighth seed.

In overtime, Van der Gulik's first two shots from the right doorstep were stopped by UNH goaltender Mike Ayers (Hingham, Mass.), but his third shot trickled into the net to lift the Terriers into the postseason.

Ayers finished with 30 saves, including 12 in the first period. BU goaltender Sean Fields stopped 28 shots and was not required to make a save in the extra session.

With BU leading 1-0 at the start of the third period, John Laliberte scored from the top of the crease to give the Terriers a 2-0 advantage at 2:32. UNH trimmed the deficit to 2-1 just 55 seconds later, however, on a goal by Preston Callander (Regina, Sask.).

Mick Mounsey (Concord, N.H.) tied the game at 6:42 when his shot from the high slot sailed into the upper-right corner. BU called time out at that point and regained the lead, 3-2, 26 seconds later on Frantisek Skladany's goal.

Brian Yandle (Milton, Mass.) forged the second tie of the game, 3-3, on the power play with a shot from the right circle at 10:36.

In the first period, Boston University took a 1-0 lead at 18:44 with a 4-on-3 power-play goal. Kevin Schaeffer's initial shot from the left point was stopped by UNH goaltender Mike Ayers (Hingham, Mass.) but the rebound caromed out to the right point, where Ryan Whitney fired a slap shot under the crossbar.

The Terriers held that 1-0 lead at both the first and second intermissions.

New Hampshire returns to action with a Hockey East best-of-three quarterfinal series March 11-13 at the Whittemore Center against Providence. Every game will begin at 7 p.m.


View: Mobile | Desktop