New Hampshire hockey defeats Northeastern 3-2

Northeastern jumped out to a 2-0 lead after the first period, but fourth-ranked New Hampshire responded with second-period goals, all by freshmen, and held on for a 3-2 victory in Hockey East action before 3,826 fans at Matthews Arena Friday night.

Northeastern has yet to post a win and stands at 0-7-2 overall and 0-5-1 in Hockey East play. New Hampshire improved to 7-2-1 overall and 4-1-1 in Hockey East action.

"I know the end result wasn't what we wanted," said NU head coach Bruce Crowder. "We played a great first period, but the penalties (four) took us out of the second period. We came out strong again in the third and had some great opportunities. We just have to keep battling and fighting the fight."

Northeastern limited UNH's top-ranked power play to a 1-8 mark. UNH led the nation with a 31.0 percentage entering the contest. Wildcat goalie Mike Ayers stopped 34 Husky-shots, while NU junior Keni Gibson made 27 saves.

Jaron Herriman scored during the Huskies' first power play of the game, at 8:30 in the first period. Mike Morris and Eric Ortlip assisted on the play.

Brian Swiniarski scored with 6:44 left in the first period to give NU a 2-0 lead. Tim Judy assisted on the goal. Less than a minute later Keni Gibson made an amazing save when Wildcat Jacob Micflikier had a clean breakaway, but was denied at close range.

"I thought Keni played a great game," said Crowder. "He's improving in every game and giving us a chance to win."

However, Micflikier would be heard from again, as he netted the game-winning goal with 9:36 left in the second stanza to give the Wildcats a 3-2 lead. He was assisted by Sean Collins and Mick Mounsey.

New Hampshire crept back in the game early in the second period on a power-play goal from Daniel Winnick just 1:37 into the action. Winnick took a pass in the slot and rifled a wrister past Gibson high glove side.

New Hampshire's Brett Hemingway knotted the game at 2 three minutes later, when Juston Aikins skated from behind the net and found Hemingway open at the far post.

The Huskies mounted a furious rally late in the game, but couldn't capitalize on a 17-second 5-on-3, the ensuing power play, or with a extra-man for the final 49 seconds after Gibson was pulled from the net. Herriman hit the post and Ayers came up with some clutch saves.

NU outshot UNH, 36-30, for the game, including a 15-8 advantage in the third.

View: Mobile | Desktop