No. 6 UNH men’s hockey falls to Dartmouth, 9-8
Brian Yandle

MANCHESTER, N.H. - Nick Johnson broke an 8-8 tie with 1:27 remaining in regulation to lift the Dartmouth College men's hockey team to Wednesday night's 9-8 non-conference victory against the sixth-ranked University of New Hampshire at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

UNH is now 14-5-2 overall and DC improved to 7-7-2 as the Big Green won the fourth annual Battle for the RiverStone Cup. The Wildcats were 2-0-1 in the previous Battle for the RiverStone matchups.

Trailing 8-5 early in the third period, Dartmouth rallied to victory. Sean Offers' power-play goal at 10:45 ignited the comeback, which continued at 12:00 when Jarrett Sampson (three goals, assist) completed his hat trick to trim the deficit to 8-7. David Jones tied the score, 8-8, at 17:12 and Johnson's power-play goal 1:21 later gave Dartmouth its first lead of the game, 9-8.

UNH pulled goaltender Jeff Pietrasiak (Shrewsbury, Mass.; 31 saves) in favor of an extra skater with 1:07 to play but could not score the equalizer.

Mike Divine, the third goalie of the night for the Big Green, earned the win as he played the final 34:32 of the game with five saves and two goals allowed. Dan Yacey started the game in net and surrendered two goals with four saves in 7:42. Sean Samuel then surrendered four goals with six saves in 17:42 before yielding to Divine when the 'Cats took a 6-3 lead at 5:34 of the second period.

UNH took a 2-0 first-period lead on goals by Jacob Micflikier (Winnipeg, Manitoba) and Brian Yandle (Milton, Mass.; two goals, assist) at 5:23 and 7:42, respectively. Both teams scored two goals in a four-minute span to give the 'Cats a 4-2 advantage with 5:15 to play in the opening stanza. Sampson's first goal of the game pulled DC within 4-3 at 16:49.

Tyson Teplitsky (Saskatoon, Sask.; goal, two assists) and Sean Collins (Reading, Mass.; goal, assist) netted goals 72 seconds apart early in the second period to push the Wildcats' lead to 6-3. Yandle extended the advantage to 7-3 at 8:19 before Sampson scored on a breakaway at 17:41 and Johnson struck on a delayed penalty call with 51 seconds remaining in the period for a 7-5 score.

Justin Aikins (Surrey, B.C.) scored 41 seconds into the final frame to produce an 8-5 Wildcat lead.

Preston Callander (Regina, Sask.) was the other 'Cat to record multiple points with a goal and two assists.

DC's Mike Ouellette and Eric Przepiorka both finished with a goal and three assists, and both recorded two assists during their third-period comeback.

View: Mobile | Desktop