Wildcat men’s hockey defeated BY Michigan State in OT, 4-3
Preston Callander

DETROIT-The No. 6 ranked University of New Hampshire men's hockey team lost Michigan State University, 4-3 in overtime in the opening round of the Great Lakes Invitational tournament on Wednesday night at Joe Louis Arena.

Senior forward Jim Slater gave the Spartans the 4-3 overtime win just 4:14 into overtime with his seventh goal of the season to send Michigan State to the GLI championship game vs. the University of Michigan.

Senior forward Preston Callander (Regina, Sask.) tied the game up again with his second goal of the game and the ninth goal of the season, 3-3 with eight minutes left in the game. Sophomore forward Brett Hemingway (Surrey, B.C.) took the intial shot and then Collins shot the puck and Callander tipped in the Collins shot.

Junior forward Colton Fretter potted his second goal of the game to give MSU at 3-2 lead with 8:48 remaining in the game.

Callander notted the game at 2-2 on a shorthanded goal with 13:40 remaining in the game. Collins took the intial shot and then gathered his rebound and made a pass across the crease to Callander, who was waiting at the doorstep and beat MSU goalie Dominic Vicari blocker side.

Senior forward Mike Lalonde helped the Spartans regain the lead on a one-time snap shot and beat junior goalie Jeff Pietrasiak (Shrewsbury, Mass.) blocker side, 2-1, with 6:33 left in the second session. Slater notched an assist on the Lalonde's second goal of the season.

Senior tri-captain Justin Aikins (Surrey, B.C.) tied the game on a breakaway goal, his third of the season for UNH just 10 seconds later to tie the game at 1-1 at 12:35. Freshman defenseman Craig Switzer (Peachland, B.C.) picked up his seventh assist of the year on Aikins' tally.

MSU got on the board first with 7:35 remaining in the second period on a power play goal by Fretter who took a slapshot from the point on the power play. Fretter's goal was assisted by freshman forward Chris Mueller and sophomore blueliner Tyler Howells.

Pietrasiak made 21 saves in the opening period for the Wildcats and stopped 41 shots in the game, which was three saves shy of his career high. Dominic Vicari registered 39 saves for the Spartans in the victory, including 16 saves in the third period.

The Wildcats (11-4-2 overall) return to action on Thursday, December 30th in the final day of the tournament. The Wildcats will face Michigan Tech in the third place game at 4:30 p.m at Joe Louis Arena.

View: Mobile | Desktop