No. 10 UNH men’s hockey ties up Vermont, 3-3
Jacob Micflikier

BURLINGTON, Vt. - Fifth-ranked Vermont and No. 10 New Hampshire skated to a 3-3 tie in front of a sellout crowd of 4,003 at Gutterson Fieldhouse on Friday night.

Freshman Corey Carlson (Two Harbors, Minn.) scored a shorthanded goal and picked up an assist for the Catamounts. The Wildcats countered with three points from junior Jacob Micflikier on a goal and two assists to earn the tie. Vermont moves to 10-3-1 overall and 4-3-1 in Hockey East while New Hampshire stands at 7-5-3 and 6-3-2 in conference play.

"We played a great game and it was a great college hockey game," Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said. "I thought we had a very good power play tonight and we did a good job of getting pucks to the net. We had our chances in overtime but ended up with the tie."

Vermont finished the game 2-for-6 on the power play and outshot the Wildcats 34-30. UNH scored two of its three goals in the game on the man advantage.

At 14:36 of the first period junior Daniel Winnik, the reigning Hockey East Player of the Month, netted a power-play goal on a one-timer off a terrific pass from Micflickier to give the Wildcats a 1-0 lead.

Vermont would respond at 17:39 of the first period on a great individual play by Carlson. The freshman made a sensational move as he skated in shorthanded to score on UNH goalie Kevin Regan to make it 1-1. Junior assistant captain Kenny Macaulay (Baddeck, Nova Scotia) and freshman Dean Strong (Mississauga, Ontario) each got an assist on Carlson's third goal of the season. The score was the first shorthanded goal by a Catamount since Jeff Corey (Boothwyn, Pa.) had one Dec. 29, 2004 in a victory against Providence.

Less than one minute into the second period Vermont would take its first lead of the game on a power-play goal by Mark Lutz (Stevens Point, Wis.). The sophomore flicked a wrist shot from the left circle that went just over the blocker of Regan and found the back of the net to make the score 2-1. Strong and Carlson each setup the goal for the Catamounts.

Back came the Wildcats at 7:41 of the period when Micflikier scored his sixth goal of the year on an assist from junior Brett Hemingway to tie the game at two.

At 11:36 of the second period Vermont senior goaltender Travis Russell (Essex Junction, Vt.), who was making his second straight start, had to leave the game with an injury and sophomore Joe Fallon (Bemidji, Minn.) replaced him in net. Russell left the game with 13 saves and Fallon finished up with 14 stops.

Vermont would retake the lead at 9:56 of the second period on the fifth goal of the year by sophomore Torrey Mitchell (Greenfield Park, Quebec). Senior captain Jaime Sifers (Stratford, Conn.) set up the goal on the power play and Mitchell blasted a one-timer past Regan five-hole to give Vermont a 3-2 advantage. Junior Ryan Gunderson (Bensalem, Pa.) also assisted on the score.

New Hampshire would tie the score at three with just under seven minutes remaining in the final period. Senior captain Brain Yandle fired a slapshot from the right circle that beat Fallon top shelf to make it 3-3. The score would stay that way as neither team would find the net at the end of regulation or in overtime giving Vermont its first tie of the season.

View: Mobile | Desktop