Brian Levey

BURLINGTON, Vt. - Both the University of New Hampshire and the University of San Francisco had their chances to score, but neither team was able to convert as the Wildcats and Dons played to a 0-0 tie Friday afternoon in the Vermont Smith Barney/NIKE Soccer Classic at Centennial Field.

UNH earned the first scoring opportunity early in the match as senior Michael Card (Amherst, N.H.), who had scored in each of the Wildcats' first two matches, found himself in the clear with the ball. However, he was unable to put the shot past USF goalkeeper Geremy Uhl.

San Francisco, ranked 13th this week by Soccer America, seemingly controlled the action through most of regulation, outshooting New Hampshire 17-6 and earning six corner kicks to two for the Wildcats. However, most of the Dons' shots were not on net, and UNH goalkeeper Brian Levey (Pittsburgh, Pa.) used his height to control the action in his area throughout the match.

The Wildcats nearly ended the match in regulation as Derek Bragg (Downingtown, Pa.) sent a shot towards the net that got past Uhl. Unfortunately for UNH, one of San Francisco's defenders was able to clear the ball away, keeping the match scoreless and forcing overtime.

As the first overtime period drew to a close, San Francisco (1-0-1) attempted a quick throw-in, sending the ball towards the Wildcat goal without anybody paying attention. The ball skirted harmlessly outside the post, and the match eventually ended without anybody putting a tally on the board.

"I am pleased with my guys' effort today," UNH head coach Rob Thompson said. "We had our chances, and we did a good job of keeping their forwards from doing any damage."

Levey, who finished the match with one save, notched his third shutout in as many matches this season and extended his shutout streak to 426 minutes and 44 seconds, dating back to last season. The junior goalkeeper became only the third player in UNH history with at least ten career shutouts and will move past Jim Mueller into second place on the all-time list with his next shutout.

New Hampshire (2-0-1) returns to action Sunday morning, Sept. 11, against Army at 11 a.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop