DURHAM, N.H.- The University of New Hampshire men’s soccer team opened the 2008 spring season with a win over NCAA Division-II tournament participant UMass-Lowell, 3-0, in 90 minutes of action on Bremner Field March 29.
    UNH generated a few chances during the opening frame, but settled for a scoreless halftime score. Freshman forward Dylan George (Bangor, Maine) opened up the scoring when the ball fell to him in the box and he delivered a right-footed shot that beat the U-Lowell keeper to his right. Sophomore forward Chris Banks (Westborough, Mass.) got on the board with an unassisted tally, stripping a Lowell defender and beating the keeper with a low, well-placed shot. George scored his second goal to finish off the River Hawks late in the match. Freshman goalkeeper Colin O’Donnell (Springfield, Mass.) recorded the shutout. 
    In the Wildcats’ second game of the spring, they raced out to a two-goal lead in the first half to knock off Colonial Athletic Association member and regional rival Northeastern on Bremner Field on Sunday, April 7 in a 60-minute match. UNH started strong as junior midfielder Dan Cripe (Raymond, N.H.), from the left, cut inside to his right and scored with a left-footed blast that went across the goalkeeper and into the right side of the net. UNH kept up the pressure and was rewarded with a beautiful combination for the second goal. Junior forward Kyle Urso (Lombard, Ill.) got free on the right hand flank and served a pin-point cross into the box where Banks beat a Husky defender on a diving header to take a 2-0 lead at the half. Banks would get another chance in the second stanza, but his one-on-one chance with the keeper went just wide. Sophomore forward Greg Frost (Cumberland, Maine) could have made it 3-0, but Northeastern’s goalkeeper did well to push Frost’s effort wide. Sophomore goalkeeper Tunde Ogunbiyi (Gwynned, Pa.) earned the shutout for UNH. 
    After Northeastern and Southern New Hampshire University played to a 0-0 draw, the Wildcats took the field against Southern New Hampshire University in a 50-minute match. SNHU, coached by former UNH assistant, Marc Hubbard, neutralized the UNH attack and both teams settled for a 0-0 result. George had the best chance of the match, pouncing on a knockdown in the box, but he drilled his half volley over the bar right before the final whistle. Freshman Chris Devine (Hampton, N.H.) earned the shutout, UNH’s third consecutive shutout this spring. 
    The Wildcats’ next match will feature intrastate rival and 2008 NCAA Division-1 tournament participant Dartmouth College on Saturday, April 12 at 6 p.m. on Bremner Field. Admission is free.
View: Mobile | Desktop