Box Score

DURHAM, N.H.- Sophomore Joe Corsello (York, Maine), a back for the University of New Hampshire men’s soccer team, netted his first collegiate goal, but a tally by the Terriers in the final minutes of regulation gave Boston University the 2-1 edge and the victory on Saturday afternoon at Lewis Fields.

With the loss, the Wildcats fall to 6-4-3, 1-3-1 in the America East, while the Terriers improve to 7-5-2, including 4-1-0 in conference action.

The Wildcats took advantage of a corner by Kyle Urso (Lombard, Ill.) 18 minutes into the game. A cluster of players in front of the net jumped up to play the cross in the air. The ball, however, fell past everyone and onto the foot of Corsello who tapped it past Boston University goalkeeper Hrafn Davidsson at 27:06. The goal was the first against Davidsson since Oct. 4, 2008, ending a three-game shutout streak for the Terriers.

At 33:44, the Terriers evened the score 1-1 with a tally by Samuel Appiah. Boston University’s Shaun Taylor took the initial shot, a hard blast from the top of the box, which was blocked by a Wildcat defender. Appiah, who was selected as the “Man of the Match” for the Terriers, recovered the loose ball and fired into the top right corner of the net.

With time expiring in regulation, the Wildcats had a potential go-ahead-goal rifled on net by New Hampshire’s “Man of the Match” Brad Hilton (Merrimack, N.H.). Davidsson, however, was able to make the soaring save on the Wildcat chance with just over 18 minutes remaining.

With just over two minutes to play, Tom Strackhouse, from the left side, fed a crossing pass inside the box. Several Terrier players charged to get a foot on the ball, but it was cleared through the front of the box to Richy Dorman, who was positioned near the right post. Dorman was able to strike an uncontested shot past New Hampshire goalkeeper Colin O’Donnell (Springfield, Mass.) at 87:55. 

O’Donnell made fives saves, including four in the first period for New Hampshire. Davidsson also tallied four in the first half and finished the game with six saves. The Terriers narrowly outshot the Wildcats, 15-12.

The Wildcats will travel to New York next week to face Stony Brook on Wednesday, Oct. 22 and Binghamton on Saturday, Oct. 25. The squad will return home on Wednesday, Oct. 29 when the play host to UMBC in their final home game of the regular season.

View: Mobile | Desktop