MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Geneva Livingston's (Red Bank, N.J.) fallaway jumper from the right baseline with 1.1 seconds left lifted the University of New Hampshire women's basketball team to a 71-69 win over Wisconsin-Milwaukee Friday night at the Klotsche Center. UNH won its second straight and improves to 4-3 on the season.

Junior Maren Matthias (Guilford, Conn.) finished with a career-high 30 points, 20 of them coming in the first half. Matthias was 11-18 from the field and 8-12 from the free throw line. She also grabbed 10 rebounds and recorded three steals. Lindsay Adams (Theresa, N.Y.) was 3-6 from three-point land and totaled 10 points, while Livingston finished with nine, going 2-2 from long range.

Wisconsin-Milwaukee (3-6) was paced by Teri Huff, who recorded 17 points. Maria Viall, the Panthers' leading scorer at 18.8 ppg and the reigning Horizon League Player of the Year, was limited to two points, as she played just 13 minutes due to foul trouble before fouling out with 1:15 to play.

After a nip-and-tuck second half, the Wildcats would take a 69-64 lead with 1:57 remaining on a pair of free throws by Aubrey Danen (Oconomowoc, Wis.). The hosts would cut the lead to two, 69-67, with 1:45 left on a trifecta by Jess Wilhite (14 points). Matthias was fouled by Viall on the next UNH possession, but she would miss both free throws. Kate Poulin (Kitchener, Ontario) fouled Kim Becker during the rebound action and Becker would sink both freebies to tie the game at 69.

UNH would come up empty on its next possession as Colleen Mullen (Chelmsford, Mass.) couldn't connect on a three-point attempt. Wisconsin-Milwaukee corralled the rebound and called timeout. The Panthers would get a pair of shot attempts, but Adams would collect a Molly O'Brien miss with 17 seconds left to give the Wildcats one last chance.

Electing not to use a timeout, UNH got the ball to Livingston, who dribbled down the right side and tried to drive down the right baseline. UWM thwarted that effort, and Livingston would momentarily lose the handle. She collected the ball and fired a fadeaway from 17 feet that found the bottom of the net. The Panthers called timeout with 1.1 seconds left but could not get a shot away before time expired.

New Hampshire took control of the first half with an 18-5 run capped by a Matthias conventional three-point play with 5:20 to go in the opening stanza. That gave the 'Cats a 32-19 lead. The Panthers would cut the lead to 33-26, but a pair of Matthias baskets over the final 2:14 gave UNH an 11-point cushion, 37-26, at the half.

Wisconsin-Milwaukee opened the second half with a 7-0 run to cut the lead to four with 18:36 to play. The Panthers eventually took a 64-61 lead with 5:27 to play after a Wilhite trey, but UNH would go on an 8-0 run over the next 3:30 to take a five-point lead.

The Wildcats outrebounded their hosts 41-38 for the evening. New Hampshire has outrebounded five of its seven opponents this season.

UNH returns to action Sunday, December 29, when they face Fairfield in the first round of the Villanova Tournament. The next Wildcat home game is Thursday, January 2, when the 'Cats face Iona in a 5 p.m. contest.

View: Mobile | Desktop