New Hampshire women's hockey Skates to 3-3 tie with Boston College

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass.- Sophomore Renee Taylor and freshman Bronwen Kelley each scored one goal and added one assist to lead the Boston College women's ice hockey team back from a 3-0 first period deficit to tie the University of New Hampshire, 3-3, on Tuesday evening at Kelley Rink. Freshman goaltender Lisa Davis recovered from a tough first period to post 40 saves, holding the Wildcats scoreless on their final 32 shots.

With the tie, BC improves to 7-16-4 on the season (3-11-3 ECAC East), while UNH's record moves to 16-11-3 overall (9-6-2 ECAC East). The game marked the first time BC did not suffer a defeat to the Wildcats in their brief history; the Eagles had dropped the previous 14 decisions in the series.

UNH came out firing in the first period and got the best of Davis early on. The Wildcats would take the early lead, 4:23 into the frame, when Janine Goulet fired a shot from the point that beat Davis to the near post. UNH would double its lead less than five minutes later, when Chandy Kaip scored the first of her two first period goals. Kaip would give control of the match to the Wildcats just under six minutes later, finding a loose puck off of a rebound shot and firing past Davis.

BC climbed into the match at the 9:30 mark of the second stanza, when Kelley snapped a backhand shot through the five-hole of Wildcat goaltender Jen Huggon. The goal, Kelley's second of her brief career, was assisted by junior Thia Connolly and Taylor.

The Eagles would tie the game on the strength of two goals in 49 seconds to open the third period. At the 31 second mark, sophomore forward Kaitlin McGrath won an offensive faceoff back to sophomore Jessica Tychsen , who fired a onetime shot off a defender and into the back of the net. Tychsen's first goal of the season gave life back to the Eagles. BC would get the eventual game-tying goal less than one minute later, when Taylor fired a shot from behind the net off of the back leg of Huggon and into the goal. Taylor's second goal of the season was assisted by Connolly and Kelley.

UNH had the best chances down the stretch and outshot the Eagles 4-1 in the overtime period, but Davis stood strong in net and did not allow any further scoring.

For the game, UNH outshot BC 43-20.


View: Mobile | Desktop