, N.H.
Sam Faber (Mt. Sinai, N.Y.) and Jenn Wakefield (Pickering, Ontario) scored third-period goals 21 seconds apart to lift the fourth-ranked University of New Hampshire women’s ice hockey team to Wednesday night’s 3-3 tie against 10th-ranked University of Connecticut at Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum. UConn won the shootout, 1-0, to earn an extra point in the Hockey East standings.

 UNH remains unbeaten on the season at 2-0-2 overall and 1[1]-0-1 in Hockey East while UConn is 3-1-2, 1[1]-0-0. The Wildcats extended their league-record regular-season unbeaten streak to 40 games (36-0-4), and they are 19-0-1 in Hockey East league road games in that span.

 Trailing 3-1 in the third period, the Wildcats trimmed the deficit to one goal with a quick succession of passes on the power play. Maggie Joyce (Hudson, Ohio) moved the puck from the right point down low to Kelly Paton (Woodstock, Ontario). Paton centered the puck at the top of the crease to Wakefield, who deposited the puck into the net at 10:35.

 Faber scored her second goal of the game 21 seconds later when she skated along the left dashers and beat the defense to the outside before lifting a close-range shot over the right legpad of UConn goaltender Brittany Wilson (27 saves). Courtney Birchard (Mississauga, Ontario), with the chip of the puck up the boards in the neutral zone, and Kacey Bellamy (Westfield, Mass.) were credited with assists.

 UNH goalie Kayley Herman (Weyburn, Saskatchewan) preserved the tie late in the third when she denied Nicole Tritter’s one-timer from the slot. At the other end of the ice, Wilson helped send the game into overtime with stops against Angela Taylor (Paisley, Scotland) from the left circle and Birchard off the rebound in front.

 In the closing minute of OT, UNH generated a strong rush in which Birchard centered the puck down low for Taylor with Faber also in the area reaching for the loose puck.

 As the home team, UConn elected to shoot first in the shootout. The Huskies’ Cristin Allen cut across the slot but was stoned by Herman, who stopped all five shots she faced in last week’s 1-0 shootout victory against Boston College, at the left post. Wakefield’s backhanded attempt was stopped by Wilson to keep it scoreless through Round 1. Jennifer Chaisson and Bellamy were denied by the goalies in Round 2, then Michelle Binning fired wide and UNH’s Kelly Cahill (Farmington Hills, Mich.) was stopped by Wilson to send the shootout into sudden death.

 Herman then turned aside Dominique Thibault’s bid and Wilson extended the shootout by stopping Taylor. The opposition finally solved Herman in the shootout when Monique Weber placed a shot between the goalie’s legs. Birchard beat Wilson but the puck clanged off the right post and wide of the net.

UNH controlled possession in the opening minutes of play but was restricted to perimeter passing and just one shot on goal.


UConn took a 1-0 lead at 6:04 when Herman stopped Binning’s initial shot from the right point, but an unmarked Amy Hollstein jammed in the rebound at the right post. Rebecca Hewett was also credited with an assist.

 New Hampshire pulled even, 1-1, on Faber’s power-play goal at 1:59 of the second period. Bellamy initiated the sequence with a pass from the high slot to the left circle, where Cahill wristed a shot to the net that was redirected in by Faber.

 UNH generated a 3-on-2 rush at 7:45 with Wakefield carrying the puck on the right wing. She slid the puck to Micaela Long (South Boston, Mass.) cutting down the slot and Long was denied from close range by Wilson.

 UConn threatened midway through the period when Binning was stopped on the doorstep by Herman and Thibault backhanded a shot off the rebound high of the cage.

  In the 12th minute, an outlet pass by Long from the defensive zone created a 2-on-1 rush for the ‘Cats in which Sarah Cuthbert (East Falmouth, Mass.) fired a slapshot into Wilson.

The Huskies took a 2-1 lead at 14:42 when Jessica Lutz corralled a loose puck off a UNH turnover and lifted a backhander into the net from deep on the right side.

 Binning nearly extended the advantage to two goals with 2:30 remaining in the second stanza when her shot from the right circle carmed off the crossbar.

 UConn built a 3-1 lead at 3:03 of the final frame on a flurry of shots. Herman denied Hollstein from the slot, then Binning and Thibault from the right side.

 New Hampshire plays host to ECAC foes St. Lawrence University (Oct. 18; 2 p.m.) and Clarkson University (Oct. 19; 12 p.m.) this weekend at the Whittemore Center. Tickets are available at the Whittemore Center Box Office, through TicketMaster or by clicking here.


View: Mobile | Desktop