Kelly Paton (
Woodstock, Ontario) and Angela Taylor (Paisley, Scotland) both recorded a goal and an assist to lead the seventh-ranked University of New Hampshire women’s ice hockey team to Tuesday night’s 4-2 victory against NortheasternUniversity in Hockey East action at Matthews Arena.

UNH, which recorded 2-0 and 3-0 home victories against the Huskies earlier this season, improved to
11-5-5 overall and 6-2-3 in Hockey East. NU is now 10-10-2, 5-6-0.

The teams entered the third period tied, 1-1 and the Huskies took their first lead of the night with a shorthanded tally at
10:22. In a 2-on-1 rush, Annie Hogan collected the outlet pass on the left wing and floated a pass across the slot and Ali Bielawski redirected the puck into the net at the right post. Julia Marty, with the pass through the neutral zone, set up the goal, which was the first shorthanded tally surrendered by the ‘Cats this season.

UNH rallied to tie the score on a goal by Sam Faber (
Mt. Sinai, N.Y.) at 14:35. Michaela Long (South Boston, Mass.) initiated the scoring sequence in the right circle with a pass to Kelly Cahill (Farmington Hills, Mich.) in the low slot. She dropped the puck back to Faber, who wristed a shot into the upper-right corner.

The Wildcats continued to pressure, and
Taylor’s assertive forechecking created the game-winning goal. Taylor won the puck behind the net and moved it to Jenn Wakefield (Pickering, Ontario), who lifted a shot into the cage from the right doorstep at 18:03.

NU’s Alyssa Wohlfeiler led a rush down the right side, but she was stoned by UNH goalie Lindsey Minton (
Richardson, Texas) with 1:10 remaining. The Wildcats called time out at that point, and were able to clear the puck after the ensuing faceoff.

The Huskies re-entered the offensive zone with 50 seconds on the clock and Sulyma exited the game moments later. UNH once again was able to clear the puck into the neutral zone. NU’s last rush was shortlived, and Paton raced down the puck along the right dashers. She held the puck away from three Huskies and saucered the puck in the slot, where the oncoming
Taylor settled the puck and fired it into the empty net with 11 seconds to play.

Minton improved to 2-0-0 – both wins against NU – with a 19-save effort. Sulyma stopped 13 shots, including 16 in the second period and 13 in the third.

The teams skated to a 1-1 tie in the first period. UNH opened the scoring at
4:49 on Paton’s breakaway goal. Maggie Joyce (Hudson, Ohio) gathered a loose puck in the defensive zone, skated behind the net and threw an indirect pass off the dashers that Paton corralled behind the defense at the left point. She then went directly towards the net and scored on a low shot from close range.

NU tied the score at
8:05 when Missy Elumba, at the left post, lifted a shot off her own rebound over Minton and the puck trickled across the goal line. Kristi Kehoe was credited with an assist.

In the 12th minute, an NU shot from the left point sailed wide of the near post and continued around the boards into the neutral zone. Joyce came off the bench and gathered the puck to create a 1-v-1 rush. She muscled around the defenseman in the slot but was foiled by Sulyma.

With five minutes remaining in the period, the Huskies generated a dangerous rush in which Annie Hogan, cutting through the slot, redirected a shot just wide right of the cage.

led a late 2-on-2 rush in which her initial shot from the left circle was knocked down by Sulyma, but Wakefield pulled in the rebound and backhanded a shot across the crease and wide of the far post.

Then with 90 seconds remaining in the first period, an NU turnover gave Faber possession in the slot. She settled the puck and wristed a shot that beat Sulyma but ricocheted off the crossbar to the boards behind the net.

New Hampshire dominated the second period and produced a 16-1 shot advantage, but did not break the 1-1 tie despite four power-play opportunities that included a 53-second 5-on-3 advantage.

Early in the stanza, a UNH blocked shot from the left point caromed to Shannon Sisk (
Pipersville, Pa.) at the left post. Her backhander was stopped by Sulyma and the NU goalie stood her ground to also turn aside Cahill on the rebound.

It appeared as if the Wildcats took a 2-1 lead on
Taylor’s power-play goal at 11:24, but it was ruled that the net was dislodged off the moorings before the puck crossed the goal line.

With the teams at even strength in the 14th minute, a UNH turnover deep in its defensive zone resulted in a Wildcat skater’s crossing pass inadvertently caroming off the left post. Courtney Birchard (
Mississauga, Ontario) then swept the loose puck out of the crease.

With UNH on its third power play, Kehoe blocked a shot in the high slot to create a breakaway for herself in the 12th minute, but she had to thwart off a pair of Wildcats and could not get a shot on goal.

On the next
New Hampshire power play, Paton slipped behind the defense again at the blue line for another breakaway opportunity with 2:15 to play in the second stanza. Sulyma thwarted the chance, however, by blocking the initial shot from the right circle into the air and then enveloping the puck after Paton batted it from the air.

New Hampshire returns to action Jan. 23-24 for a two-game homestand against the University of Maine. Friday’s game begins at 7 p.m. and Saturday’s opening face-off is 2 p.m. Tickets are available at the Whittemore Center Box Office, through TicketMaster and online at

View: Mobile | Desktop