New Hampshire women's lax rallies past Northwestern, 7-6

DURHAM, N.H. - Jessie Groszkowski (Reistertown, Md.) scored the last three goals of the game to lead the University of New Hampshire women's lacrosse team to Saturday afternoon's 7-6 victory against Northwestern University at Memorial Field.

New Hampshire won its third consecutive game to improve to 5-3 while Northwestern fell to 2-6 with its second straight loss. UNH trailed 6-1 with 25 minutes remaining in the second half and began its run of six consecutive goals when Molly Cherington (Meriden, N.H.) scored on a feed from Meagan Clavin (Grantham, N.H.) at 36:03. Sue Yund (Castleton, N.Y.) netted goals at 41:05 and 47:14 to pull New Hampshire within 6-4.

Groszkowski, who scored seven goals Friday at Vermont, scored 46 seconds later on a free position goal to trim the deficit to 6-5. She tied the game with a tally at 51:35, then gave the home team its first lead of the game with 6:33 remaining.

UNH goalkeeper Danielle Martin (Ellicott City, Md.) made one save the rest of the way to preserve the lead.

Northwestern had an opportunity to tie the game in the final minute when goalie Ashley Gersuk (12 saves) stopped a low shot by UNH's Laura Dosdall and gave possession to the visitors. NU quickly advanced the ball downfield but was unable to fire a shot on goal before time expired.

Martin finished with four saves and allowed five goals in 56:55. Heidi Dessert (Fairhaven, Mass.) made one save and surrendered one goal in 3:05 of relief action early in the second half.

Northwestern built a 2-0 first-half lead on goals by Courtney Koester at 2:52 and 6:56. The Wildcats extended their advantage to 3-0 at the half when Donna McCann scored 1:43 before intermission.

New Hampshire closed within 3-1 when Jess Burnap (New Canaan, Conn.) scored 27 seconds into the second half. Northwestern's Courtney Flynn took advantage of an open net - Martin collided with teammate Nicole Moore in the fan - 21 seconds later to reestablish a three-goal advantage, 4-1.

The collision forced both Martin and Moore to the sidelines temporarily and Northwestern made it 5-1 at 33:53 on an Erin Flynn tally. Martin reentered the game at that point, but the visitors went ahead 6-1 with Sarah Albrecht's goal at 34:39.

That proved to be NU's last goal of the game, however, as UNH's assertive defense kept the visitors outside the fan and forced 10 second-half turnovers.

New Hampshire continues the 2002 season April 10 (4 p.m.) at Holy Cross and resumes America East conference play in its next home game April 12 vs. Binghamton University (3:30 p.m.).

View: Mobile | Desktop