UNH women's lacrosse rallies past Harvard, 14-11

DURHAM, N.H. -- Jess Burnap (New Canaan, Conn.) recorded six points with five goals and one assist to lead the University of New Hampshire women's lacrosse team to Wednesday afternoon's 14-11 non-conference victory against Harvard University at Memorial Field.

UNH extended its winning streak to six games - the Wildcats' longest since the 1992 team also won six straight - and improved to 7-4 (1-0 America East), while Harvard is now 5-6 (0-2 Ivy League).

Harvard's Margaret Yellott scored her second goal of the game at 52:08 to tie the game, 11-11, but Jill Albee (Pembroke, N.H.) netted her second of three tallies 38 seconds later to put the Wildcats back in front, 12-11.

Katie Leland (Timonium, Md.; three goals) scored 41 seconds after Albee's game-winning goal to give UNH a 13-11 advantage and Albee, with the assistance of Burnap, extended the lead to 14-11 with 5:01 remaining.

New Hampshire controlled possession for the majority of the remaining time to secure the victory.

UNH goalkeeper Stacey Plati (Nashua, N.H.) made eight saves for the victory. HU starting goalie Kathryn Tylander stopped 7 of 21 shots in 54:59, then Kristin Demorest turned aside the only shot she faced during the final 5:01.

The Wildcats jumped out to a 2-0 lead on goals by Burnap and Leland in the opening two minutes of the game, but Harvard's Elaine Belitsos (three goals) and Casey Owens (two goals, assist) struck 50 seconds apart to tie the score at 3:34.

Sarah Cahill (Lexington, Mass.), Laura Dosdall (Wellesley, Mass.) and Kelly Blaney (Stony Brook, N.Y.) scored goals within a seven minute span to build a 5-3 UNH advantage with 11 minutes remaining in the first half. Following Yellott's free position goal at 21:51, Leland and Burnap scored less than a minute apart to give the 'Cats their largest lead of the half, 7-4. Caroline Hines (goal, two assists) trimmed the deficit to 7-5 with 2:13 to play, but Burnap netted her third of the half with six seconds remaining for an 8-5 halftime lead.

The Crimson opened the second half with four consecutive goals - Catherine Sproul (three goals), Belitsos, twice, and Owens - to take its first lead of the game, 9-8, at 40:29. UNH called time out at that point, and Burnap responded with a free position goal at 41:54 and an unassisted tally 24 seconds later to put UNH back in front, 10-9. Albee scored at 43:36 to extend the 'Cat advantage to 11-9.

New Hampshire returns to action April 17 (12 p.m.) at America East rival Boston University. The next Wildcat home game is April 18 vs. Rutgers. Game time at Memorial Field is 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop