No. 17 UNH women's lax falls to No. 12 Dartmouth, 14-12

HANOVER, N.H. -- Laura Dosdall (Wellesley, Mass.) scored a career-high four goals for the 17th-ranked University of New Hampshire, but 12th-ranked Dartmouth College recorded a 14-12 victory in Wednesday afternoon's first round game of the NCAA Women's Lacrosse Championships at Scully-Fahey Field.

UNH, which earned a berth in the NCAAs by winning the America East tournament title, ends the season at 15-5. The loss snapped a school-record 14-game winning streak for the 'Cats, whose 15 wins is the program single-season record. Dartmouth, which earned at at-large bid, improved to 11-5 and will play the winner of the Princeton vs. Colgate matchup.

Dartmouth took at 14-10 lead with 5:30 remaining in regulation, prompting a UNH timeout. Katie Leland (Timonium, Md.; three goals, assist) netted a free position goal at 55:51 and Jess Burnap (New Canaan, Conn.; three goals) scored her 72nd goal of the season to trim the deficit to 14-12 with 2:41 to play.

Following a Big Green timeout, UNH won the draw control but turned the ball over with just over two minutes left in the game. DC passed the ball downfield and maintained possession the rest of the way in a spread offense to secure the win.

UNH starting goalie Stacey Plati (Nashua, N.H.) finished with eight saves in 54:30 of play. Julie Bevad (Sea Cliff, N.Y.) went the rest of the way and stopped the only shot she faced. DC goalie Devon Wills was credited with six saves.

DC quickly took a 1-0 lead when Sarah Sanborn scored at 1:56, but the Wildcats responded to take a 2-1 lead when Kelly Blaney (Stony Brook, N.Y.) set up a Jess Burnap (New Canaan, Conn.) tally at 3:08 and Blaney recorded her 100th career point with an unassisted goal at 4:48.

DC's Lana Smith tied the score, 2-2, at 7:13 but UNH earned possession off the ensuing draw control and Sarah Cahill (Lexington, Mass.), with the assistance of Katie Leland (Timonium, Md.), scored 22 seconds later to put the 'Cats back in front, 3-2.

The teams exchanged goals -- with Leland and Dosdall netting goals for UNH -- to give New Hampshire a 5-4 lead at 12:08. Dartmouth called time out at that time and scored three consecutive goals to take a 7-5 lead at 26:45. Dosdall's second unassisted goal pulled the 'Cats within 7-6 with 2:49 to play in the first half. UNH gained possession of the draw, but a turnover led to a Big Green goal with four seconds on the clock and an 8-6 Dartmouth lead at halftime.

Dosdall opened the second-half scoring on a free position goal at 32:17, but DC netted consecutive goals to reestablish a three-goal lead, 10-7. Dosdall and Burnap then scored less than two minutes apart to once again lift UNH within a goal, 10-9, with 17:32 to play.

The Wildcats could not net the equalizer, however, as the Big Green scored four of the next five goals to open up its largest lead of the game, 14-10, at 54:30.

View: Mobile | Desktop