UNH women's lacrosse rolls past Harvard, 19-10

Leland, Talbot combine for 13 points to spark Wildcats

Katie Leland

DURHAM, N.H. -- Katie Leland (Timonium, Md.) and Moira Talbot (Marblehead, Mass.) recorded seven and six points, respectively, to propel the University of New Hampshire women's lacrosse team to Wednesday afternoon's 19-10 non-conference victory against Harvard University at Memorial Field.

UNH, which sits atop the America East standings with a 3-0 record, improved to 8-4 overall with its seventh consecutive victory. Harvard lost for the third straight time to fall to 3-8.

Leland and Ashley Durepo (Concord, N.H.) led six Wildcat double-digit goal scorers with four tallies apiece, and the four goals was a personal best for Durepo. Leland also recorded three assists to finish with a game-high seven points, and she has six or more points in seven consecutive games. Talbot scored three goals and matched her career high of three assists to equal her personal-best mark of six points. UNH's other multiple-goal scorers were Kristin Blanchette (Sudbury, Mass.; three goals, assist), Alexa Webster (Aurora, Colo.; two goals) and Sarah Von Bargen (E. Setauket, N.Y.; two).

UNH goalkeeper Ashley Milley (Sudbury, Mass.) stopped the first four Harvard shots on goal and finished in double digits in saves for the sixth time this season with 11. Leanne Ferretti (Sound Beach, N.Y.) scored the other Wildcat goal.

Harvard starting goalie Kathryn Tylander played a total of 38:40 in two stints. She was charged with the loss as she allowed 12 goals and was credited with two saves. Kristin Demorest also stopped two shots in 21:20 of relief action. Tara Schoen (three goals) and Caroline Simmons (two goals, assist) led the Crimson's attack.

UNH, which entered the week ranked No. 8 in the nation in offense at 13.45 goals per game, scored the first three goals against Harvard and rolled out to a 10-2 halftime lead, which quickly grew to double digits early in the second half. Harvard would get no closer than eight goals the rest of the way.

Talbot gave the Wildcats a 2-0 lead with an unassisted tally at 4:00 and by setting up Leland's strike at 7:04. Webster extended the advantage to 3-0 at 9:20, prompting Harvard to call time out.

The Crimson responded with Simmons' goal on a free position shot at 9:55, but the 'Cats netted five consecutive goals to build an 8-1 cushion. Von Bargen's tally at 11:44 ignited a spurt that continued with goals 12 seconds apart by Blanchette and Leland. Durepo scored back-to-back goals at 17:14 and 25:57 to create the seven-goal lead and force HU's goalkeeper change before Simmons struck at 26:22. Webster, who set up the first of Durepo's goals, pushed UNH's advantage to 9-2 at 27:25 and Durepo's third tally of the game closed the first-half scoring at 28:13. The 'Cats opened strong in the second half, as Leland set up a pair of Talbot goals in a six-second span to extend the lead to 12-2 just 39 seconds after the opening draw. Blanchette's free-position goal gave UNH a 13-2 lead at 34:28 before the visitors responded with goals at 38:20 and 39:57 to close within 13-4.

Tallies by Blanchette -- the 99th of her career -- and Leland reestablished a double-figure lead at 15-4 midway through the second half. Harvard once again trimmed the deficit to nine goals, 15-6, at 47:17 and Tylander reentered the game in goal at that point.

Durepo and Von Bargen scored consecutive goals to give the 'Cats their third double-digit cushion of the game at 17-6 with 9:08 remaining. Harvard then netted three goals in a span of 2:34 to close within 17-9 at 55:05. UNH called time out at that point and surged ahead 19-10 on tallies by Leland and Ferretti. Schoen closed the scoring with 1:34 to play.

New Hampshire continues its four-game homestand April 15 (1 p.m.) against Binghamton University. UNH's last regular-season home game is April 18 (3 p.m.) vs. the University of Connecticut.

View: Mobile | Desktop