Susie Piotrkowski (Franklin, Conn.) matched her career high of six points with three goals and three assists to lead the 18th-ranked University of New Hampshire women’s lacrosse team to Saturday afternoon’s 11-8 victory against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County in America East action at UMBC Stadium.

UNH, which has won all eight lifetime meetings against the Retrievers, improved to 8-4 overall and 2-2 in America East. UMBC is now 6-7, 2-2.

In addition to Piotrkowski, Sarah Von Bargen (East Setauket, N.Y.) and Michaela Hardy (Reading, Mass.) recorded multiple points with three goals and two goals, respectively.

UNH goalkeeper Kate Gunts (Wilton, Conn.) recorded four saves, including three in the first half. Kelli LaPerch (Brewster, N.Y.) tallied her 100th career ground ball with the first of her three in the game; she was also credited with one caused turnover and one draw control. Beth Sabiston (Bayshore, N.Y.) tallied a team-high five ground balls as well as two draw controls. Allie Duclos (South Windsor, Conn.) recorded four draw controls, three ground balls and one caused turnover.

UMBC goalie Kate Quick made 13 saves. Their offense was led by Amanda Pappas (2g, 1a), Abbey Swift (1g, 2a), Kara Dorr (2g) and Erika Braerman (2g).

The Wildcats quickly built a 3-0 lead in the opening two minutes, 16 seconds of the game en route to building a 9-3 halftime lead. Shaunna Kaplan (Framingham, Mass.) netted an unassisted goal at 28:50.Duclos won the ensuing draw control and Von Bargen, with the assistance of Piotrkowski, scored 20 seconds later to give the ‘Cats a 2-0 lead. UNH again controlled the draw – this time by Ashley Durepo (Concord, N.H.; three DC; one GB, one CTO) – and that led to Hardy’s unassisted tally at 27:44.

UMBC recorded its first shot at 26:54, but Bria Phillips’ free-position shot was stopped by Gunts.

Von Bargen struck again at 24:09 to extend her streak of multiple-goal games to 21 and UNH’s advantage to 4-0.

Gunts made two saves in the next four minutes to preserve the four-goal lead and then Piotrkowski scored a free-position goal at 19:07 to push the score to 5-0.

New Hampshire controlled the ensuing draw, but Quick made a pair of saves within the next 50 seconds to keep the Retrievers’ deficit at five goals. UMBC advanced the ball into the attack zone and Braerman, from Swift’s pass, pulled the home team within 5-1 at 14:28.
Braerman, again off a pass from Swift, scored at 10:04 to trim the deficit to 5-2.

It took just 10 seconds for UNH to respond with a goal, however, as Duclos controlled the ensuing draw and Piotrkowski netted her second goal of the game to reestablish a four-goal advantage of 6-2.

The Wildcats also scored the next three goals to build a 9-2 lead. Piotrkowski struck again at 7:35, then set up Duclos’ goal at 5:27. Ilana Cohen (Andover, Mass.) closed the 4-0 spurt with her goal at 1:50.

Pappas scored with 44 seconds remaining in the first half to lift UMBC within 9-3 at halftime.

The Retrievers continued that momentum into the second half, as they won the draw control and Dorr scored at 29:30 to trim the deficit to 9-4. New Hampshire controlled the next draw, but Quick stopped a free-position shot and then Ashley Stodter scored on a free position to make the score 9-5 at 28:13.

Hardy ended UMBC’s run of three consecutive goals with her second tally of the game, a free-position goal at 18:05 that gave the ‘Cats a 10-5 lead.

Swift scored at 14:56 and Pappas netted her second goal of the game on a free-position shot at 10:41 to lift the Retrievers within 10-7.

Hardy won possession for UNH on the ensuing draw control and that led to Von Bargen’s third goal of the game at 10:09 to put the ‘Cats in front 11-7.
Quick made three saves in the next six minutes to keep the difference at four goals and Dorr, off a feed from Pappas, scored her second goal of the game to pull the Retrievers within 11-8 at 3:46.

UNH’s Kate Keagins (Bayshore, N.Y.) controlled the draw and the Wildcats maintained possession with a perimeter passing game until     UMBC regained possession with 71 seconds remaining. The Retrievers were able to advance the ball into the attacking zone but Duclos forced a turnover and LaPerch collected the ground ball, which allowed UNH to run out the remaining 30 seconds and secure the win.

The Wildcats recorded the edge in shots (29-17), draw controls (16-5) and ground balls (21-19), and the ‘Cats committed fewer turnovers (18-19) and fouls (13-26).

New Hampshire opens a four-game homestand April 6 (2 p.m.) against 19th-ranked Cornell University. The Wildcats then play host to 11th-ranked Vanderbilt University on April 8 (1 p.m.).

View: Mobile | Desktop