, N.H. – The 14th-ranked University of New Hampshire women’s lacrosse team held 15th-ranked Dartmouth College to two second-half goals, but the homestanding Big Green staved off UNH’s comeback bid to prevail 10-8 Saturday afternoon at Scully-Fahey Field.

It marked the first loss of the season for the Wildcats, who are now 2-1. Dartmouth improved to 2-0.

Sarah Von Bargen (East Setauket, N.Y.) led the ‘Cat attack with three goals. Shaunna Kaplan (Framingham, Mass.) scored twice and Ashley Durepo (Concord, N.H.), Hayley Rausch (Severna Park, Md.) and Beth Sabiston (Bayshore, N.Y.) each potted one goal.

UNH starting goalkeeper Nikki Hume (North Hampton, N.H.) made two saves and surrendered eight goals in the first half; she was charged with the loss. Kate Gunts (Wilton, Conn.) yielded two second-half goals and was credited with one save. DC goalie Julie Wadland stopped five shots.
New Hampshire trailed 8-4 at the half and began its surge when Sabiston scored on a free position from the top of the fan at 28:55. Wadland made two saves in the next two minutes and Gunts denied Sarah Plumb at the right doorstep with 22:30 remaining to keep the score 8-5.

DC was whistled for a three-second defensive infraction at 19:50. Off the ensuing free position, Kaplan drove from the right side and scored on a low shot from close range to lift UNH within 8-6.

The Big Green combination of Erin Massimi and Kirsten Goldberg produced a transition goal at 17:59 to reestablish a three-goal differential. Massimi carried the ball down the right side and crossed the ball across the fan to Goldberg on the left wing.

Von Bargen scored her third goal of the game at 15:38 when she maneuvered from the left wing to the middle of the fan, fired a shot off the left post and one-timed the rebound deep on the right side.

Kaplan pulled the ‘Cats within 9-8 at 7:53. Kelli LaPerch (Brewster, N.Y.) drove down the right wing and centered the ball down low to Kaplan for the goal, and it marked the first career point for the senior co-captain who also tallied four ground balls and four caused turnovers.

Dartmouth called time out at that point. In their next four possessions, the Wildcats recorded one shot on goal, a shot wide and two turnovers. The Big Green extended its lead to 10-8 at 3:20 when Kat Collins (three goals, assist) cut down the right side of the fan and scored.

UNH won the ensuing draw control and, after a turnover by each team, UNH shot wide on a free-position shot from the top of the fan with two minutes remaining. The Wildcats maintained possession, but then turned the ball over to the Big Green, which entered its offensive zone with 75 seconds to play.

The home team was awarded a free position with 50 seconds on the clock and lost possession on an errant pass. UNH advanced the ball downfield, but lost possession with 35 seconds to go and Dartmouth maintained possession the rest of the way to secure the win.
UNH tallied a 25-19 shot advantage and committed two fewer turnovers (28-30). DC recorded the edge in both ground balls (25-21) and draw controls (11-9).

Allie Duclos (South Windsor, Conn.) was credited with six ground balls, two draw controls and two caused turnovers for the ‘Cats.

Dartmouth played defense for the majority of the opening two minutes of the game, but the Big Green built a 3-0 lead less than five minutes in. Plumb scored on a free position shot at 27:11 and Eliza Bennett netted a free-position goal at 25:52. Plumb, off a Katherine Chiusano pass, struck again at 25:17 for the 3-0 lead.

Durepo collected a long outlet pass and maneuvered from the right sideline to the fan and fired a shot into the upper-left corner of the cage at 21:17 to trim the deficit to 3-1.

Sarah Parks and Collins scored at 16:45 and 13:44, respectively, to extend the home team’s lead to 5-1 and prompt UNH to call a timeout.

Chiusano scored in transition off a New Hampshire turnover just 32 seconds later to push the advantage to 6-1., but Von Bargen scored consecutive unassisted goals at 12:38 and 9:18 to lift the ‘Cats within 6-3. Her first goal came when she curled from behind the net to the left post, and then she scored on a shot from the left wing inside the near post.

Collins scored 20 seconds later to give DC a 7-3 lead. UNH closed within three goals, 7-4, at 2:01 when JoJo Curro (Amherst, N.H.) advanced from behind the goal on the left side and executed a pass across the fan down low to Rausch, whose one-timer beat Wadland. Greta Meyer scored a free-position goal from the right wing at 1:47 to close the first-half scoring.

New Hampshire returns to action March 4 at home against Yale. Game time at Memorial Field is 3 p.m.


View: Mobile | Desktop