– The University of New Hampshire women’s soccer team lost one conference game this season. Sunday they revenged that loss.
Junior forward Michelle Sheehan (Belmont, Mass.) scored a pair of goals to lead the Wildcats past Stony Brook University in overtime of the America East semifinal game on Bremner Field.
Adriana Gonzalez-Medina

The Wildcats, who improved their record to 11-6-2 overall, have advanced to the America East championship game for only the second time in school history, and first time since they met Hartford in the 1998 final. The ‘Cats, who played to a scoreless tie with Boston University on Oct. 25, will receive their rematch with the Terriers, who blanked Binghamton, 2-0, earlier in the day. The Seawolves’ season ends with their record at 8-5-5.
With 3:29 remaining in overtime, senior Adriana Gonzalez-Medina (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) sent a perfect pass to Sheehan in the left side of the box. Sheehan knocked the ball down with her chest, took one step, and buried the ball in the top left corner of the net for her conference-leading fifth game-winning goal of the season.
Sheehan, the America East Striker of the Year, scored her first goal in the 77th minute, taking a feed on the right side of the box from America East Midfielder of the Year Caitlin Whelan (Weymouth, Mass.), and depositing the ball into the back of the net.

The two goals gives Sheehan a conference-leading 11 goals and 24 points and puts her onto UNH’s top-10 lists for goals and points in a season. She currently is tied for the fifth-highest goal total and seventh-highest point total in a UNH season.

Stony Brook, which defeated the ‘Cats, 1-0, at home Oct. 11, came right back in the 80th minute, netting the equalizer on a play that sparked some confusion, but in the end was the right call. Off a Brooke Barbuto corner kick, Jackie Timmes sent a shot toward the net that looked to be going in when Wildcat goalkeeper Ally Yost (Langhorne, Pa.) was caught in the scrum in front of the net, leaving the left side vacated. Gonzalez-Medina filled the void, heading the ball away. She tried to duplicate her feat on the rebound opportunity, but could not recover quickly enough, and the ball eventually went off her hand and to the foot of Trine Allenberg who finally buried the ball into the net. The goal stood after the referee declared that Gonzalez-Medina’s touch of the ball with her hand was inadvertent, and the ball was still alive.

Catilin Whelan
Yost made three saves for the Wildcats, while Seawolves goalkeeper Marisa Viola, who had the seventh longest shutout streak in NCAA history at 863:33 this season, recorded 10 saves.

The Wildcats, who outshot Stony Brook 25-14, including 3-1 in the overtime session, had a few scoring opportunities before Sheehan’s overtime tally ended the match.

With four minutes remaining in regulation, Sheehan, who was in front alone, tried to pop the ball over the head of Viola, but had the ball sail over the cross bar.

In the opening minutes of overtime, sophomore Shaunna Kaplan (Framingham, Mass.) sent a cross from right to left that ended up on the foot of Gonzalez-Medina, who tried to sneak the ball past Viola. The sophomore goalie made a diving stop to save the Seawolves’ season, if only for a few minutes.

The Wildcats return to action Saturday, Nov. 10 when they host Boston University in the America East final with the conference’s automatic bid into the NCAA tournament on the line. Kickoff at Lewis Fields is at noon.
View: Mobile | Desktop