DURHAM, N.H. - Laura Martel and Veronique Fleury each scored goals as the University of New Hampshire women's soccer team suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of the University of Maine on Sunday afternoon in a chilly, wet and windy affair at Lewis Fields.

The Wildcats fall to 3-12-1 on the season, including 2-4-0 in America East play, while the Black Bears improve to 6-5-2 overall and 3-2-1 in the conference.

After a scoreless 73-plus minutes, Maine broke the game open when Martel netted her 10th of the year. Maddie Hill evaded a defender and pushed the ball to the right of the box where Martel sent a blast to the far post that found the upper left corner of the net.

UNH began to play with a sense of urgency in the final minutes, pressuring the Maine defense. As the Black Bears cleared the ball back toward midfield in the closing minute, senior goalkeeper Ally Yost (Langhorne, Pa.) came all the way out to boot it back into the Wildcats' offensive end. Fleury moved in front and blocked the ball, however, scooping it up and making a long run toward the net. Fleury beat Yost and fired a shot from the top left of the box that hit the crossbar, but deflected down across the goal line and into the net to give Maine a two-goal cushion with 30 seconds remaining.

Earlier in the 61st minute, Yost kept the game in a scoreless tie with a great save. Kelsey Wilson's corner kick went to the right of the box where Hailey Blackburn headed the ball to the far post, forcing Yost to make a diving stop to her right.

The Wildcats' best chance came with 2:27 remaining in the match when a loose ball rolled to the left of the box where sophomore Alli Rozelle (Stratham, N.H.) ran onto it and sent a blast toward the open half of the net that sailed just high.

The ‘Cats had another good chance in the 24th minute after freshman Monique Lamotte (Tampa, Fla.) made a run from midfield and sent a nice ball up the middle of the pitch to classmate Allie Coppenrath (Green Harbor, Mass.). Lamotte struck the ball just a tad too hard, however, as Maine goalkeeper Meagan Price-Leibenzeder raced out and scooped up the ball before Coppenrath could reach it.

Yost made four saves for the Wildcats, while Price-Leibenzeder stopped three shots for the Black Bears.

Maine held an 11-7 advantage in shots and a 5-2 edge in corner kicks.

The Wildcats return to action Thursday, Oct. 22 at 3 p.m. when they travel south to take on the University of Maryland, Baltimore County at the UMBC Soccer Stadium.

View: Mobile | Desktop